or Connect

Posts by RachaelM

Hey everyone, I just joined this group. I found out I was pregnant a few weeks ago just before my missed period. I was about to go away for the week so instead of waiting til my period was missed (due while I was away) I took a test so I could be with my husband if it was positive, and it was! 5 days before my period too.    I actually bought one of those clear blue tests that say how many weeks you are. I wouldn't normally but it was the only one in the nearby shop,...
At the risk of sounding like a massive hippy, you can also sit down and let go of those fears and visualise it going 100% smoothly. I always do it with things I'm worried about and you know what...it usually turns out easier and better than I expected!   (And even if it does nothing, at least it makes you feel better huh?)   :)
Hi everyone, I just found out I am pregnant with my second child and I'm planning a somewhat unassisted pregnancy and birth.    The last pregnancy was wonderful, we had a home birth in water and I called the midwife about 20 mins before my daughter was born and told her to just go make a cup of tea and hang out with my mother in law in the living room. She did no checks as I didn't want her too and I felt 100% fine, I was totally relaxed and had my daughter in the...
It's important to realise that almost all adults are "not vaccinated" in many "vax preventable diseases" because the long term immunity of vaccines is as short as a few years in some cases.    So while people are getting up in arms about unvaccinated children spreading disease, adults are walking around with as much immunity to some diseases as non vaccinated children.    The original post is yet another way of blaming non-vax parents for outbreaks and instilling...
We start out with a family dinner and if my daughter is not hungry she doesn't eat. She can play around the dinner table and pop back up when she wants.    Sometimes she doesn't eat much, sometimes she eats loads.    If you don't stress about them staying put, or eating a certain amount, then it's not stressful!   If she doesn't eat, she'll eat later or in the morning. Always done it this way and she's perfectly healthy and will try any food. We always enjoy...
I was on a flight away from my 2 year old last week. Chatting to the guy on the plane next to me he said "You trust your husband alone with your daughter for a week?"     Well yeah! Otherwise I think I may be having children with the wrong man, lol. 
I do nothing.    Unfortunately, there is nothing you can really do.    I once was an au pair for a family with adopted kids from a poverty stricken country.    The mother said in front of her 14 year old "I wish I could send her back to her "real mum" and show her just how lucky she is, then get her back when she's a proper girl".   After a year of trying to change things subtly, even not so subtly, I realised they are their children to parent and I...
I was very like this as a young kid, and there are still memories to this day from that age that remind me of just how upset I would get over things.    It could be short term or it could be just a part of who he is - the sensitive person.    For me, I needed to learn how to step back from the world a little and be less affected by it's goings-on. It took me until only a few years ago to really start to understand this about myself and start to let go of...
I agree with a lot of others here in that letting go of the measuring stick is the way to a happier life. We all care about our kids and try to do the best for them. THAT is what makes us good parents, not the choices we make at the end of the day.    Teaching our kids that perfection is not something achieved by humans is a better lesson than beating ourselves up over whether we are "good parents" or not!
I did Baby Led Weaning with my daughter and it was great fun and stress free. She's a fantastic "eater" now and people are always asking about it as it seems unusual among friends babies.    If you go to amazon and get the book it's well worth it.    We just let her start helping herself to stuff, spices and all.    She is now almost 3 and will pick something up and taste it, then declare to the table whether it is salty, sour, sweet, spicy...and not cause we...