or Connect

Posts by sarahekd

Oh I plan to vote no!
OMG and a pro-fluoride sponsored ad showed up in my FB news feed. I was so angry! What gets me riled up isn't just the health and environmental questionability (is that a word?), it's the freakin' lack of informed consent. I ABSOLUTELY do not consent to have this medication (yes, it's a medication if you want medical outcomes). Dah!   I am not surprised at all that they've try to pay people off to support. I wish I could do more to help right now, but my life is crazy!
Thank you for working on this! I just moved here in August, and I was so disappointed to see they were thinking about *adding* it. I thought I'd finally moved somewhere sans fluoride, so I didn't have to worry about it so much! Seems so backwards given that there are movements many places to do the much harder task of removing it :( 
Hi all! We moved to Portland back in August and we're still looking around for gentle parent friends :) We have a 4.5 year old and a 2.5 year old and we're pretty laid back <3 We love having folks just drop in (as long as you don't mind a mess- we don't!) or having scheduled play time- either way.   We're homeschooling/unschooling right now and my husband is stay-at-home. We'd love to have more friends or playmates for our kiddos- especially our older...
You've already gotten great advice, so just sympathy here! I've had to deal with this in the rentals I've lived in. At one rental, the owner sprayed outside without our consent when I was pregnant, and I was *angry*. The chemicals really anger me too because I like things like dandelions and nettles (and use them!), but I can never grow them when I know there are weed-free neighbors. It's just too dangerous :(   I'm confused about his fence, though- did he spray...
You already have lots of great suggestions :) I'll add violets to the list! My dad also grew gingers in very full shade, but that's in Houston where it's nice and hot. Aloe will tolerate shade too, but it won't flower.   If you think about what might grow at the edge of a forest, you can come up with shade tolerant plants. It depends on how deep of shade you're talking, though- like SweetSilver said up there. Most of my gardens have been shady gardens, and if you...
I know this is an older thread, but I thought I'd add my thoughts and ask a question.   I completely agree that not having a TV is probably the best way to limit TV time :) They still see it at friends houses and at restaurants (which drives me nuts), but we don't whisk them away lol. We unschool (or plan to... does unschooling need a label if we're just living?), but my boys are only 4 and 22mo so it's not like TV has been a big temptation for them yet. My 4 yo does...
This is all helpful for me too, thanks for the thread :) We're moving out there in a month with my 4yo and 22mo and had only seen the laws summarized on the HSLDA site. 
No luck, eh? :/ I guess we'll search around once we're in town :) We're sort of shy, and I'm more of a homebody than my husband (which is unfortunate since I'm the one that can work right now!) We had good luck in Gainesville Florida with a very supportive community and we're hoping to find another supportive community up there <3 We've moved around a lot- we're from Houston originally, and I've lived in Berkeley, Austin, Gainesville, Philly, and now up to Portland,...
Hi mommas!   My family is moving to Portland in August so I can take a new job, and my husband will continue to be at home with my 4yo and 22mo little boys. Is there anybody out there that knows of good groups in the city that would be welcoming to a daddy (with or without me there)? Or wants to hang out? :) We'll be in the city (right now, near Alberta Park if that means anything) for at least the first year we live there to learn more about the area.    He's an...