or Connect

Posts by PacificMar

I have the same problem with easy distractibility when a television or movie is playing in the background. That's why I have a hard time when visiting friends who like to leave the radio or TV on, even if the sound is low; I find that the noise pulls me away from conversation, which bothers me, as I want to focus on my friend, not on a mindless commercial!  My sense is that this feature is deliberate on the part of those who own TV networks and the numerous corporations...
Hey, TV-free parents, I was curious how many of you also limit the use of other media in your homes, such as tablets, Internet access, smart phones, etc. My husband and I are alternative-power geeks and, once we have the funds to do it, hope to power our home with a combination of wind, geothermal, and water power, with solar in the summer--on the rainy Oregon Coast, it's not the first-line choice for renewable energy, so I can't call us tech-free. However, we've chosen to...
On the subject of creativity: I believe one of the gifts our flashy media have taken from us "ordinary people" is our sense of our own creativity. Because movies, TV programs, and websites have imaginative designers and big budgets for producing dreamlike landscapes that dazzle, full orchestral musical scores to manipulate viewers' emotions, amazing costumes, and so forth, we look around our living rooms and at our back yards, as well as into our own minds, and lament that...
Ana's super-cute, Mrs. Koehn! I love that smile, and she looks like she's having a blast toddling around. I hope you too will soon have a joyous announcement to share.  
Here's our daughter Luthien (on the right) playing with her friend Jade.  Luthien is almost 15 months old and she's Ethiopian, Irish, German, and Spanish. 
I'm with you, Darwinphish--our daughter is 14.5 months old and we call her the Klingon (depending on whether she's got a death grip on the right or left leg of my trousers, she's on the starboard or port bow). She has particular times of day when she's at her most uncertain--when she first wakes up and about an hour before her usual bedtime. During the rest of the day, she'll alternate between being eager to explore (even squirming like crazy to be put down on the floor)...
My little girl is an "air plant" who prefers grazing over having meals, although she will chow down on things she adores, such as guacamole. She likes to carry pieces of fruit or vegetables around with her on her travels, snacking on them from time to time. It can take her an hour to finish the whole thing! She also doesn't like to sit down to eat. She prefers to eat "on the go." She is still primarily all about nursing--she even has that pesky toddler habit of...
Our 14.5 month-old is also a frequent nurser. Some of it is for nourishment, as she's still an "air plant" in terms of eating solid foods, grazing more than eating a meal (she likes to carry around an apple piece to nibble on when she feels like it and can take an hour to finish that single piece), while some of it is definitely for comfort. While she's awake, she nurses about every hour to every two and a half hours, depending on how distracted she is by her own...
It drives me crazy that clothing companies assume every little girl wants to be a princess, even if she's too young to get the concept! I was born in 1970, during the heyday of the gender-free clothing era, and I find this return to 1950s gender-role stereotypes nauseating. We have a 14.5 month-old daughter, Luthien, and have gone from shopping 50-50 in the girls' and boys' sections to purchasing exclusively clothing marketed to boys. I like the bright colors and bold...
Hi, Mrs. Koehn! I often think of you and Ana as well. I remember she was a precocious talker; I imagine her vocabulary has grown tremendously!    STL Mama, I wish you a healthy, wonderful pregnancy and birth. Enjoy both of your little ones!   Here is Luthien at 14.5 months. She's a speedy mover, although she prefers crawling to walking. She walks and even runs while holding our hands, but she doesn't like to take more than a few assisted steps. In all ways, she's a...