or Connect

Posts by PacificMar

Our younger daughter is 12 months and not yet walking by herself (she pulls up, cruises, and climbs but does not have the balance for unassisted walking). When we're out and about, she rides in her Ergo on my back. Like us, she doesn't like having things on her feet and will pull them off. (So far, this has been limited to socks, as we want to avoid shoe-ing her until she's walking around outside and needs protection from rocks and such.) On cold days, she wears two layers...
We live on the Oregon Coast, so we walk barefoot on the beach in the summer. On rougher surfaces, such as rocky hiking trails, we do the next best thing and wear sandals (with socks in winter). I haven't tried the shoes geared toward barefooters, like the Five Fingers or those minimalist athletic shoes; athletic sandals are less expensive and also put little material between you and the earth. 
Because Luthien is so young (12 months), just observing and assisting with household chores is exciting to her. (She helps by taking objects out of drawers and spreading them all over the floor and by handing things to me or my husband.) Reading together is also a favorite, although magazines or newspapers are out because she tries to eat them. Speaking of which, one of our La Leche League friends discovered that her son had a similar habit when she was changing his diaper...
Greetings, everyone! Our daughter Luthien just turned one year on November 30, and it's amazing to watch her explore her world. She cruises and crawls at top speed, opening drawers, pulling books off shelves, flipping the lid off the hamper, and investigating whatever she finds. She comes to work with us (we're both physicians and share a private practice) and likes to use our rolling examination stools as walking aids, pushing them around so she can stay upright without...
Welcome, Kyne, and I'm sorry your son had such a hard transition into the world. He and his older brother are also blessed to have a loving and thoughtful mother who ensured him that, despite having had such a difficult beginning, he's been adored and tenderly cared for ever since. In my experience, that's the best healer for a traumatic birth.   While working through my healing process from my daughter's difficult birth, I came across Aletha Solter's book The Aware...
That's wonderful that Dr. Guarendi raised ten children without television (or with minimal TV)--what an inspiration and a great answer to those who are convinced that children can't entertain themselves without it. I pray that both of us have many opportunities to fill our minds and hearts with words from wonderful books! One of my favorites is Le Petit Prince/The Little Prince, and one of my favorite moments is when the Fox tells the Little Prince, "One cannot see well...
That's wonderful that Dr. Guarendi raised ten children without television (or with minimal TV)--what an inspiration and a great answer to those who are convinced that children can't entertain themselves without it. I pray that both of us have many opportunities to fill our minds and hearts with words from wonderful books! One of my favorites is Le Petit Prince/The Little Prince, and one of my favorite moments is when the Fox tells the Little Prince, "One cannot see well...
Thank you so much, Catholic Mama, for sharing Fr. Ray's valuable perspective on television. I especially appreciate his point that TV-watching isn't necessary, as the major criticism we get from TV-watching parents is along the lines of, "Your daughter will feel so weird/left out/out of it from not knowing the common cultural referents from television shows." As a child, I watched TV, and hence I was familiar with the same programs as other children my age. However, this...
My husband is an inveterate impossible-puzzle-solver, so he's looking forward to a day when Luthien won't just try to eat the pieces. Now that she's crawling everywhere, she has plenty of entertainment in the house, such as chasing cats, dabbling in their water bowls, playing her toy xylophone, and drumming on every available surface. When she's older, her dad also looks forward to introducing her to chess (he's a chess master and part-time chess teacher); right now, when...
Welcome, Gardendweller, and congratulations on your almost one-year-old! We love the Moosewood recipe books. The Moosewood Daily Special is particularly good for fast recipes (mostly soups and salads); our little one can eat small portions of most of the recipes. They do include seafood recipes, but you can replace the fish with tempeh, tofu, or seitan and they still work.