or Connect

Posts by PacificMar

Like the other posters, I have both fond and exhausted memories of our daughter's nursing constantly during her first weeks of life. (She is now an active 10-month-old who still loves to nurse.) She used to have four-hour nursing sessions we called the Suckle-Fest, and we called her Chupamama and the Suckubus. Initially I'd nurse her with a bolster in bed, with pillows to either side, and I know I was in and out of sleep half the time--I was relieved when she learned how...
Are there any 40-and-over mothers of little ones out there? I'm 42 and have a delightful ten-month-old, Luthien, who's currently commando-crawling all over. We also have an older daughter, Kathryn, whom we adopted as a teenager! 
Does anybody else's little one have a teething rash around his or her mouth? I can't decide whether Luthien is allergic to one of the solid foods she's been trying or just has toxic saliva. 
Luthien bit me a few times when her first teeth came in. It happened as she was drowsing at the end of nursing: she started to fade out, then awakened suddenly, and CHOMP! Now I observe carefully as she starts to nod off, although she hasn't done it in a while. 
I live on the rainy Pacific Coast and either go barefoot or wear sandals year-round, including backpacking. At work, I go barefoot and my husband wears socks (his feet get chilly) until I have to do acupuncture (close-toed shoes are a safety requirement). Our nine-month-old comes to work with us and has never worn shoes; she wears socks in the winter but pulls them off! Once a concerned elder saw her without socks and feared she was cold. I reassured her that the little...
Thanks so much for your good wishes for my father, MariaMadly. He's making a good recovery so far; he was active before the fall and is determined to return to his regular walks. His dog is eager for that as well!   I'm trying to encourage my parents to move in with us too, but Mom finds New York City mire exciting than the Oregon Coast. I'll keep working on them...
I'm so glad to hear she's recovering well. You and she are in my heart! My father has been convalescing from a hip fracture that he experienced six weeks ago, so I'm in a similar situation...my parents are 86 and 77, and my husband and I have a 22-year-old and an eight-month-old. Crazy times!
My heart is with you. We all come to our only-child families for different reasons: some of us chose to create a single-child family, while others would like to have more children but were/are hindered by circumstances like secondary infertility or financial constraints. Even those of us who chose to limit our families to one child wonder (and perhaps grieve) about the siblings our son or daughter could have had, the children we could have raised.  Whatever you end up...
It sounds like it's been an action- and learning-packed summer for you and your family, Catholic Mama!   We adopted Kathryn as a young adult (she's now 22), and she's currently in her third year of college, studying computer science and liberal studies for a combined BS/BA degree. She wishes that she'd had the chance to be homeschooled, and she might even participate in Luthien's homeschooling when she has time, particularly in terms of technology instruction, as my...
We're planning on homeschooling Luthien when she's old enough, in a combination of Montessori and Waldorf styles, which make extensive use of educational materials. However, I'm not averse to the occasional use of educational videos, particularly of the how-to type; depending on the process being shown, there are some steps that are more easily visualized as a moving image than a stationary one or a textual description. We also like the idea of science and history films,...