or Connect

Posts by kathymuggle

Huh.  Interesting. From the Canadian statistics I linked in post 11: "Before 1954 – In the pre-vaccine era, large epidemics occurred every 2 to 3 years. Almost everyone got measles. Every year in Canada, measles was responsible for 50 to 75 deaths, 5000 hospital admissions....Since 1963 – The number of cases has fallen by over 99% (from about 350,000 per year before 1963....)"   So, going high end:  75/350  000 = 1/4666 fatality rate pre 1963  (low end :50/350...
 I almost completely do my own thing.  The list of things that bugs me about Girl Guides (mostly around fundraising and bureaucracy) is crazy long.  I have decided not to let it get in the way of delivering a much in demand program to this area. But-ugh-Girl Guides and Disney….. 
 I do not doubt 1/10 are hospitalised in the Uk for measles.  They get so few cases, they are probably fearful when they see it and do not know how to advice people to care for measles at home.  People are in the hospital as a precautionary measure. 60 years ago the fatality rate from measles on a per case was better than it is now in developed countries, and the hospital admissions were lower.  (One source - just comb through the stats, it proves this...
There is a difference between whether a vaccine is useful world wide and whether or not your particular child needs it. 
yeah - meningitis is scary.  I was on another forum and someone said she did not think the efficacy of the shot was all it was cracked up to be, but did not cite her sources, so i need to look that up.  *sigh* Whether or not the shot is a good idea may come down to whether or not they live in dorms. Thankfully, the decision on this vax will be theirs, not mine - but as their mom who loves them and want sthem to have all the info, I will stilll end up researching it. And...
I am also on the ride-it-out-and-enjoy-it bandwagon.   However, I sense you feel a little beyond that - or you probably would not be posting.   I would make very firm guidelines with myself, and I would start with "no being alone with him."     Also, and I mean this with kindness, I do not completely buy that you can't avoid this other person.  If he is a friend or in-law of some sort you can distance yourself somewhat.  Be very busy, and get a needed mental break....
I have driven further than 9 hours by myself.  I did stop to eat and the like.     I would not do a nine hour road trip in winter through the middle of nowhere.  I have done a lot of winter driving in my life (every winter…sigh) and it sucks.  Icy or snowy road, low visibility, the possibility of sliding…just no.  I am at the point where I think twice about driving in winter - there is no way I would do a solo 9 hour drive through a remote area.  
Well, I am more NV than sel/delayed, but if I were going to do MMR, I would do it between 5 and 10 or so.   "Following vaccination in children, reactions in joints are uncommon and generally of brief duration. In women, incidence rates for arthritis and arthralgia are generally higher than those seen in children (children: 0-3%; women: 12-26%),17,52,53 and the reactions tend to be more marked and of longer duration. Symptoms may persist for a matter of months or on rare...
I got an email from Girl Guides of Canada inviting me to a leadership program run by Disney.   Here is the link:   https://www.guidesontario.org/index.php/girl-guide-news/931-news-super-program-event-for-brownie-guiders-extended   Here is the guiding law:   be honest and trustworthy use my resources wisely respect myself and others recognize and use my talents and abilities protect our common environment live with courage and strength share in the...
Where I live, most private schools have uniforms.  Most publicly funded Catholic schools have uniforms, and most publicly funded secular schools do not (exceptions apply).  I like it this way.  I like having  no-uniform option schools for those who do not like uniforms.  To each their own.   I will also say that school uniforms in this area do end up costing families more $.  The uniforms are not cheap, and kids who wear uniforms need uniforms plus after school clothes.