or Connect

Posts by Butter

We don't own a TV, but that has very little to do with my big kids. I would watch it all day long. So instead the kids download videos from iTunes (bonus: no commercials - commercials drive me mad). Each week they get one fiction and one non-fiction (they rotate weeks for who picks which one). Then they can "buy" additional videos (full price for fiction, they pay 50 cents for non-fiction and we pay the rest) with their own money. We do not restrict how much they...
For people without allergies it can be very hard to understand what living with allergies is like. It's likely MIL is just clueless. But I totally understand the feeling of wanting to smack her. My MIL keeps telling me it shouldn't matter what *I* eat because *I'm* not the allergic one. No, but I am nearly the sole source of nutrition for the "allergic one" and he reacts to what I eat. She also suggested we just put him on formula because that would be "so much...
Eclectic/Relaxed and I put with limits. Of course the only limit is no Junie B. Jones. I read one book (to see what the fuss was about) and declared no more because I find her to be obnoxious plus the spelling is often atrocious. Other than that whatever my kids want to read is fine. They read a fair amount of fluff, but then I used to LOVE the Baby-sitters Club and Camp Sunnyside Friends and those are definitely fluff.
Other: decline to affiliate. I don't like any of the parties. I'm pretty much in the middle of them all.
When Ani was 4 1/2 she said she wanted to learn to read. We were using Calvert then and so got Come Read With Me. Within a few days she was reading. Since then (she's near 7) she's just read a lot. She can now read anything you throw at her. My older son is 5 and is just now getting interested in reading. He has no interest whatsoever in learning letters or the sounds they make. He wants to READ. He told me to read the same books over and over to him so he can...
My husband would very much agree with you. He went back to college at almost 30 year before last. He's also found it's not as tough as he thought it was right out of high school and his 10 years of experience between graduation and going back have been helpful.
Quote: Originally Posted by dymanic If you chase the stats, you'll see that LOTS of young people died without ever having left home. It's one thing to argue that conditions may have favored the crossing of the species boundary, but to try to explain all of the deaths among previously healthy young people that way is beyond ridiculous. Sorry. Yes, many previously healthy non-soldiers died from the 1918 flu. That is true. Previously healthy...
Actually... that sounds like the flu.
Yes, it seems they are going on that ONE study and deciding grains must be introduced before 6 months. ONE study while many others have found the exact opposite. But that's how things generally go, isn't it? For the record, our pedatric allergist said Fritz should NOT eat solids for as long as possible (he's got no interest beyong general curiosity anyway at nearly 6 months) because until 9 months baby's guts are more like a "mesh" rather than "solid" and he's more...
My 6 year old would be a first grader. She is in 5th grade math and reads on a 6th+ grade level.