or Connect

Posts by momof1sofar

Quote: Originally Posted by ShannonCC Just something I keep mulling over here .... Can anyone explain these to me? Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly. I think this definition is too rigid. While Frost is one of the leading experts on compulsive hoarding, this was written in 1996, and I believe the understanding of hoarding disorder is changing as more study is done. Frost and Hartl were describing "clinical hoarding," which is when it...
Ladies, I'm sorry I haven't had time to reply to everyone personally. I've got 2 sick little ones and DH was out of state for a few days. : I am sorry to hear that so many of us are dealing with this problem, but glad that we can join together for support. Quote: Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache So, what do you do as the child of a hoarder? Is there any point to talking with the person about it? How would you broach that...
Quote: Originally Posted by miss_sonja I'm on a two-week clutter busting binge and it feels great, which tells me that I picked the right time. If I hadn't been ready for this, I would be in bad shape in my head. Instead, I'm feeling light and airy and hopeful. ... I'm glad to hear it's going well for you! It sounds like you're doing great. Quote: Originally Posted by miss_sonja Be kind to the hoarder in your...
I am not defending the misinformation of this message, but I think I know why the ads are running here. Indiana ranks #1 in unintentional infant deaths due to suffocation. Since folks here obviously ARE co-sleeping, I wish they would invest in a campaign on how to do it safely. A 2-month-old baby in South Bend died this week when his 1-year-old sister rolled over on him. The family had co-slept with each of their 7 kids, but in this case the 1-year-old climbed into...
I just saw the trailer for a documentary on one family's struggle with hoarding disorder, called My Mother's Garden. It is gut-wrenching but SO relevant. The film is in post-production right now. http://www.seethrough-films.com/mmg/
I'm away from my daughter for 6 hours/day, and I pump twice. As she's grown, I've added a pumping session at home to keep up with her demands. (I nurse her on one side first thing in the morning, pump the other, then nurse her again on the pumped side.) This gives her 2 full bottles at the sitter, then she nurses first thing when we get home. I hope this helps! I would ask around at the college, maybe in the department of your major? There might be an office you...
Quote: Originally Posted by thedevinemissm Is it still "hoarding" if it is in a neat & orderly fashion??? I would call that hoarding, although a more precise term might be "compulsive acquisition." To me, it's not the messiness that defines a hoard, it's the inability to discard items and the compulsion to collect items beyond a reasonable amount. Hoards often do become messy over time, or as a result of physical limitations as the hoarder...
Shannon, thanks for posting. I heard an interesting discussion recently about OCD and how it's starting to become apparent that it is a spectrum of disorders. I think this will help address the "hoarding spectrum," with clutter/collecting on one end and squalor on the other. I'll see if I can dig up some references to the discussion, I might have heard it on NPR...?
Quote: Originally Posted by bobica MIL is a hoarder. Compulsive in general, actually. She's finally being seen by a psychiatrist b/c things got so out of hand & she was stealing in conjunction with the hoarding. Bobica, how long has your MIL been seeing the psychiatrist? Have you noticed any improvement?
Quote: Originally Posted by SabbathD I want to be there for her 100% but refuse to take anything that will go through the breastmilk and cause her any problems. I know that basically everything does, so what about homeopathics? anyone try those? I understand your hesitation, but there are medications which have very little or no effect on the nursling. Dr. Hale recommends Imitrex as the safest. If you can get a copy of Clinical Therapy in...