or Connect

Posts by Oread

I am now working part time, but I did stay home for a couple of years and I struggled with this too. But just because other people devalue the work of parenting doesn't mean we have to, so I made a real effort to smile and say "I stay home with my daughter" with confidence. It certainly isn't a "waste" to have an education as a parent, I'm the first and most influential teacher my kiddo will ever have! Besides, very few stay at home parents do it indefinitely, we usually...
I don't think obedience is "natural", or even particularly desirable. I don't want my child to be an unquestioning, obedient adult so why would I train them to be a doormat as a kid? I think kids should ask questions, and challenge us, and challenge authority in general so that they can develop their own moral compass. If you're always told exactly how to behave without questioning, you only learn how to follow directions instead of learning real autonomy and empathy. The...
I can sort of sympathize, in that I am a newly trained doula and I think hospital births are really going to get to me. On one hand, women having hospital births definitely need a doula the most, however it REALLY bothers me to see how they are disrespected, infantalized, frightened, and generally fed misinformation. So I am torn, because it is important that women get the best birth experience possible, regardless of where they give birth. But it also bothers me on an...
I see how it would be great in some ways, but I'm a little unsure. First of all, the cost of delivery like mentioned above. And really, the cost of the ingredients period - if I'm the one shopping I can choose more affordable substitutes if they happen to be on sale.    If there were options to exclude certain ingredients because I already have them in the pantry that would be a really important option. My only other concern is that I am picky, haha. I don't like...
Grain Free Pumpkin Bars Very easy and healthy, if you can resist eating the whole pan in one sitting. Seriously, I will stuff my face with them and then make another batch the next day. And I'm not normally that crazy about pumpkin foods   Stuffed Squash This isn't exactly how I make it, but adapted from the same recipe. We always use acorn squash, no sunflower seeds, and green onions instead. It sounds totally weird with the cottage cheese, but even my anti-squash hubby...
I really like browning the meat beforehand since I think it gives it a better flavor, but its not really necessary if its inconvenient
If I were her, I would throw a total fit. As in, not sending passive notes, but walking straight into the principals office and reminding them straight up that I am the parent. Under no circumstances do they get to tell me what I can feed my child or embarrassing them at lunch time. The school is not the boss, the parents are, and sometimes they need to be reminded of that very clearly.    I remember the school was getting my older brother in trouble for walking home for...
We should be putting pressure on our public schools to keep recesses. Many schools are shortening them or cutting them out altogether, and I think that is awful and definitely a contributing factor to childhood obesity.    I think in general just being outside a lot is good and promotes activity. It doesn't even have to be super structured, just not sitting in front of the tv. Kids are kept inside so much more now than when I was growing up - if it's nice out (or even...
Anyone considering pocket diapers (my favorites! I haaaaaate prefolds/flats/etc) I super highly recommend Just Simply Cloth http://www.justsimplybaby.com/ I like them SOOO much better than Fuzzibunz or BumGenius, and they are less expensive than either of those - $13 for Just Simply vs $18 for BumGenius. I have tried man different pocket diapers, and I can't recommend Simply Cloth enough, hands down my favorite. 
We haven't gone cold turkey yet, but I can at least sympathize with you! Our daughter is only 2, and has watched a little tv on and off for quite a while but it has recently become a problem (she cries when its time to do other things, constantly nags to watch "shows", freaks out if we don't put on exactly what she wants to watch, etc) so we just made a No-TV-until-after-dinner rule. Yesterday was the first day and she had a couple of total meltdowns over it, but already...