or Connect

Posts by crankpotgirls

I had another thought.  Have you tried play therapy?  We did a little play therapy with a therapist when my daughter was 4, almost 5 and it kind of helped tease out some of the reasons why she was doing the things she was doing.  We were there for not only her quirky issues but many other things, like her temper and controlling behaviors.  I wish we could have been able to afford to do it longer because it helped me to parent her better somehow .  I realized that I kind of...
I had to bring out my inner Mama Bear on Monday.  My daughter needed blood work drawn first thing in the morning for an appointment she has next week.  She was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and this disease and all it entails is very new to us.  She woke up with a lowish blood sugar number but I figured if we hopped in the car, got into the lab right away, that we could have her eating something in a short period of time.  I was told by the dr's office to be sure...
I don't have any specific advice for you but just wanted you to know that someone read your post and I really feel for you.  My daughter, who is now 9, has exhibited some OCDish tendencies since she was very little.  They seem to come in waves in her case and just come and go.  I remember a time when she was four that she refused to walk on the wood floors in our new home.  She would put a towel down in front of her and walk on that and then pick it up and move it as she...
I thought I would update this thread with new information.  It turns out that my daughter has Type 1 Diabetes.  She was diagnosed a month ago.  This explains the explosive temper.  She has also stopped hoarding paper.  Makes my eyes teary writing this that it took this long to figure it out but the symptoms of excessive thirst and urinating did not come until the very end.  She is going to be okay, although Type 1 diabetes is no picnic.  She is also starting to read!...
Thank you so much, Linda, for your reply.  You have been very helpful and I really appreciate the time you took to write all of that out.    >I don't understand how these two statements work together. How much does she hear? How much of her outburst do you believe are related to her hearing problems?  How are you currently handling the outbursts?<   Sorry, let me clear up what meant about her hearing loss and speech and language abilities.  She has excellent...
I have another question for anyone who has been through this before.  If I wanted to go the route of starting with food allergy testing, how to I go about asking the right questions to get the right testing?  We are willing to make dietary changes.  We are vegetarian/wannabe vegans but have occasional slip-ups with dairy.  Okay, lately there have been lots of slip ups out of convenience.  Sometimes life gets too hard and I fall back on old habits.  I can get us...
Thanks so much for your reply and very helpful suggestions.  I had not considered getting an evaluation thru the school system.  That might be the only affordable route for us at this point.  We are so new here that we have not chosen a family doctor yet and I have yet to figure out how our new insurance works.  Please excuse all of my typos in my original post- I am blushing.  I really am a better speller but am sleep deprived.  Well, I am sure here many understand....
I am looking for advice as to how to even begin to deal with the multiple issues my 8 yr old daughter is facing.  After a night with her sleeping less than 2 hours, I am at my wit's end.  There are so many possible diagnoses swirling around in my head- OCD, SPD, dyspraxia, bi-polar, things from The Explosive Child by Dr. Greene ring true....I would really appreciate advice as to how to proceed. Some background info:  We are a homeschooling family and are on a limited...
Just wondering how other families handle paying for so much out of pocket. My 6 year old daughter is deaf and hears with a hearing aid and a cochlear implant. We do not have a cochlear implant center nearby so have had to do a great deal of travel. A couple of years of therapy, plus hearing gear is not covered by insurance, batteries, travel back and forth with hotel stays, yadda yadda, it all adds up. We homeschool and are living on one modest income. 4 years of this...
gmvh, I did a search about this subject on here and there have been tons of threads about it. I think I used the term "bedwetter" and a bunch of old threads came up. I wonder if it has just been asked so frequently. There are some great old threads about it and I found a link to a pattern in one of them to make a huge nighttime AIO that will fit my daughter. Here is the link, I'm going to have my mom help me make it and I think I'll see if we can do some hemp as an...