or Connect

Posts by mykdsmomy

My ds10 is legally blind. He still has vision and does really well with the vision he has but he's currently learning braille as we don't know what the future holds as far as his vision. (He had Retinopathy of Prematurity ...he was a 26 week preemie). Here's what we do: We are using a public charter school (K12 virtual Academy) and benefit greatly from the services they provide. He has the benefit of homeschooling this way so it works for us. His IEP includes a...
Quote: Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders Oh, I love all those titles! I'm off to go check out Librivox! Noah and I listened to a little snippet of Peter Rabbit the other night....the narrator's voice was very soothing I just need to figure out how to load them onto an ipod
Can I just say that I'm so glad I'm not alone but I feel for all of you because it sounds like we all have a lot on our plates. It's hard when you're new to homeschooling. There's a learning curve (which can last indefinitely ) But ...it does get better Today went well as Boo was pretty excited about doing his school work My ds10 will be starting on Monday because he's doing K12 again this year. I'm trying to integrate some of what he's doing into what...
I have huge aspirations to become more organized and spend more time on "teaching" this year. I wasn't planning on starting until after Labor day but we got accepted into the charter school I had hoped to get into and BAM! We're starting tomorrow! I am feeling like I just got the wind knocked out of me because, while I'm excited that my sp. needs child will get all the services he needs, I'm a little concerned that I've bitten off more than I can chew (in relation to...
Cat, we've been using K12 (in Ca.) for several years off and on. The one thing I've heard over and over again is "teach to the objective". The curriculum is like a buffet and they offer a lot of different activities. Don't worry so much on how it's set up....just look at the objective for that chapter or unit and as long as your dd is getting it, mark it complete That's what we've been told anyway. hth
Is this your first year homeschooling him? Regardless, it is a journey. Think how great it is that you are the one to see he needed to go to his "safe place". If he were in school, he may not have had that option He may need to stick to more of a routine like you said. Are you using Pecs cards and a daily chart so he knows what's coming next in the day?
So, dd15 used K12 last year in her freshman year. This year we were going to go with another public charter school but I'm finding the guidelines for high school students to be way too strict. The plan for DD is to take community college courses in the Spring of '11 and work towards her AA so by the time she's "graduating" high school, she can go to a cal state university. Her goal is to be a writer (novels, not journalism) and a history teacher. The benefits of...
Great....thanks....now I'll be up all night reading what everyone else is using Seriously though, cool links and ideas, thanks!!!
I was JUST coming here to post this same question!!! I find with SCD, The Makers diet, or even the new daily apple (I think that's what it's called) all use a combination of the things I'm trying to avoid I was thinking of doing GF so I could still have some grains....sort of a transition into grain free
Thank you both for the encouragement about the scopes. I am TERRIFIED of doing these and yet I know I need to I tried the Levsin yesterday and it did nothing. I wound up in the bathroom anyway I think another part of me is scared that they will go in and find nothing and not have an explanation except for IBS and Fibro. Not that I WANT Crohns or UC but it would explain the severity of my symptoms for the past 20 years I'm going to wait for the results to...