or Connect

Posts by rdehoff-us

Its about 50/50 for my little guy.  Sometimes he'll go right along with it pretending there is something to drink in his play cups or playing doctor with his little plastic kit fixing pretend boo-boos.  He'll get on the floor with me and act out different pets. Other times he says, "No mama all gone or no no" when he doesn't believe or agree with my musings.  He is absolutely terrified of Santa Claus and the Easter bunny so that was not really a fun pretend thing for us...
We started selectively delaying shots only after my son's two month appointment round of vaccines.  We felt his reaction was just moderate enough that we didn't want to risk overdoing it and began to really look into the research behind the vaccines.  Dr. Sears has several delayed and selective vaccine schedules in his book, but also remember to trust your instincts.  If something doesn't feel right to you and your child doesn't respond well to something its never too...
This may sound harsh, but if he is already beginning to settle in after a short time and seems to be enjoying himself the rest of the time I wouldn't sweat it.  He'll most likely get used to it.  This may not be true for every kid, but it is a common enough problem in children who spend the majority of their time with a parent/guardian that he'll most likely outgrow this fear of separation with time.  My son cries only when I drop him off and half the time stops before...
My son is 20 months he wakes up every morning almost like clockwork at 8am then naps around 11am for a couple hours.  We put him to bed every night at 9pm with only a few exceptions.  The time he wakes up and the time he naps is something we never strictly decided for him, but it just worked out that way after we decided on what bedtime would work for our family.  He is pretty flexible though if our schedule changes.  I'm wondering if you started putting him to bed...
Well hopefully my answer doesn't come off confusing.  My son is 20 months and somewhere right down the middle age-wise of all our friends' kids.  The older ones push him around, but the younger ones he has the tendency to be a little rough with.  I believe their is a fine line between being protective and also letting children learn to interact with each other.  I usually try to gage first whether or not the circumstances call for parental intervention or if it was a...
I've used bath time to clean up too, but maybe only once or twice a week.  The other days I take time to paint my nails, make a grocery list, balance the checkbook, or do my hair & make up for the day while my baby chatters and shows me all his bath toys.  During his breakfast I prep things for dinner.  I have also found its far easier to keep up with the house throughout the day picking up little bit here and there.  When I pick up a room I find its easier to make piles...
Thanks I'll check the book out. I'm not anticipating he'll get it right away or anything.  I was just hoping it wouldn't be too discouraging at this age if he is confused, but maybe you're right and it will be less scary later.
Since she is not breastfeeding and goes to bed pretty well with dad, then I would most likely leave the youngest at home.  If this trip is for the middle daughter than you might consider making it about her and she might enjoy it more if the focus is not on the baby sister's needs (aka nap-time, bed-time, her routine, toddler activities, etc.)  This could be a great time to connect with your middle child and sister.  I absolutely love my 20 month old son, but sometimes...
Is 20 months too early to start potty-training? I don't want to push it, but he has started to inform me when he has a dirty diaper or is about to poop.  At first I thought it was a fluke, but its been almost every time now for the last two weeks. 
I can't say for sure.  When my son had his ear infection it took over a week to go away completely and through the whole thing we had several days where we struggled to keep his fever down.  After the febrile seizure his doctor recommends us not letting his fever ever get above 102 in hopes of preventing any future seizures and to give him medicine as soon as it hits 100 to be on the safe side.  So we ended up alternating pain meds, he was on an antibiotic, and we still...