or Connect

Posts by crunchy_mama

We do both as well- - We have a house on 15 yrs(5 to go) with a super low payment - we have done most all the finish work on the house and plumbing and electric- dh is very adament that things are done well and right the first time, even if it costs more - - We went with the best insulation available, keep the thermostat low(as we can stand), buy used cars - fix them ourselves and drive until the wheels fall off   We also - buy meat in bulk from the...
Yes, in savings.  Last time we ended up buying a vehicle shortly thereafter due to a freak thing- lost our car in a house fire *right* after dropping to liability, which of course wasn't covered by the house insurance.  Good thing we had it saved as we had planned to drive the car another 3 yrs or so.  This time I'm not sure exactly what we are going to do.  We had 2 vehicles a van and truck for dh.  This summer we bought an old Civic for dh to save on gas(which has saved...
Pretty soon after one is bought here is well, we should have our fund complete for the *new* van in a bit over a year but will not buy one until we have to, hopefully 3-5 yrs, better to be prepared though.
Ours is about between 15-20% take home pay.  I honestly don't remember the percent when we bought, probably around the 30% or so.  Dh has had raises since then- it has been 9 yrs now on the mortgage.  We live in a low col and dh does decently.  The biggest help has been that we went w/ a simple starter home that wasn't even finished when we moved in, we finished it as we could.  We had a fire 4 yrs ago and decided to make it a bit bigger and nicer on a few things but...
You can spend as much or as little as you want on hs'ing.  There are free resources for just about everything, especially for the younger grades.  It is rather or not they will work for you though and your kid.  We do co-op once a week and often that is a field trip- although not all big ones.
We do, but I don't hardly visit here either.  We did have a Classical thread last year but I think most people post over on the WTM boards, much more in depth hs discussion there.  This is our 3rd year here, officially I'm declaring it 1st, my son is on the cut-off and I'd rather give him space, reading is hard for him although he is doing great in Math.   Anyway, we just started this week; Our line-up- Reading- I See Sam Readers- Advanced Readers 1 Writing-...
I would agree w/ pp I think that your perhaps pushing where it isn't developmentally appropriate.  It might help to preview some math programs and get an idea of what they are working on for this age.  At the beginning of last year when ds just turned 6 he couldn't even count to 10 or recognize half the numbers, just rote memorization did not work with him.  We started Right Start Math though as a lot of it is oral and orally he could tell you addition facts, even though...
fwiw many people answered the sustainability argument in the Primal Family thread.
Most eating a paleo diet work to search out local sources as they can afford it.  As to whether a diet w/ meat is sustainable that is no different (to me) than the usual vegetarian argument against eating meat, others have already answered that.  I also think it is good to store things up for hard times, regardless of what you eat.  Humans have always looked at ways to preserve and keep food longer.  To really answer that would start a debate.  Or perhaps someone else is...
I won't argue evidence, I don't care to, but for those who are skeptical I challenge them to try it a month.  Many that try it continue because the difference they feel is so amazing they won't go back and evidence or history doesn't matter one lick in comparison to that.