or Connect

Posts by crunchy_mama

I decided to start with the Dec 20 date for the 2011 year, that made more sense.  I am really like the idea so far.  I detested FlyLady.  I love checklists.  Over the past year I have done a good job of the daily stuff, which I generally can get done in the morning before we start school.  My list lacks a few things though- I don't wipe bathroom sinks daily and my kitchen is swept several times a week instead of daily.  I haven't been able to figure out- so what day to...
I just signed up with this for next year after seeing this thread.  I have done pretty good this year getting in somewhat of a groove w/ homeschooling and a basic cleaning routine.  The basic daily things get done most of the time and I have decluttered to a point where I can generally keep things together.  However, what isn't getting done well is the deep cleaning stuff- well some I do well- and others I don't think about.  I clean under my stove and refrigerator but...
OHHH, I found this on a search.  I don't have a copy of this book but am really liking all the ideals I have found from this book sound so good.  I have been working the last year especially on getting more rhythm and routine in our day, and decluttering has been my goal for as long as I can remember.    I, too, am trying to figure out what limits I want for screen time.  I am having a hard time quantifying what I want though.  We don't have cable, so that is easy. ...
We keep about $1000-$2000 in the checking as short-term savings, as pp said for things that pop up and variances over the months, I like having that buffer.  (trying to get that level at $2000 all the time, currently it is about $1500)   For longer range we have some savings for things like- replacing our car when it is needed, health insurance(we have a high-ded plan), and 1 yr living expenses.  We are on a 3 yr plan for those things and they should be fully funded...
We didn't take on any debt but we still spent more than we should have this year.   $300-3 kids-   $60-adopted kids from church-   $60-nieces and nephews-5 total-   $10-friends used books and homemade cds of old radio shows-3 families-   $30-$40-family name drawing-2 people- Grand Total $460   Dh and I don't exchange gifts.    We have a artificial tree we were gifted and didn't purchase any new ornaments.  I did spend $2 on candles for the...
I was just visiting a friend's house this week.  She has an eye for decorating and her husband makes good money.  I couldn't help but feel a little jealous and I feel so guilty for it.  Just recently we have done some spruce ups around the house as I wanted it to feel more homey but I could never compare to her house.  All the while dh and I have been talking about how we need to buckle down with spending so we can do more saving.  Nothing really that we truly need,...
I generally like the show, although not when there is anything about separating kids/weaning.  She also gets onto parents harshly for being too punitive and for physical punishment.  She stresses routines, structure and spending good quality time with the kids and being consistent.  There are a lot worse ways to advocate I think.
Hey Jend!  I say don't be ashamed of where you are at!  I have lots some strength and fitness from this summer as well as I haven't kept it up nearly as hard core.  I think I am ok with that though.  I have great functional fitness and am enjoying being active with the kids.  I do need to do more strength workouts but am happy w/ doing bodyweight activities for now.  I will be glad to chat with you hopefully we can motivate each other!
I like the letter, well said!   We have been working on paring down the gift giving forever here.  In dh's family it was tradition that ever adult buy multiple gifts for each other- there was like 17 people total, seriously.  I tried homemade gifts for a while- they didn't like them and I was stressed doing them.  I tried to just stick to a certain small budget per person, well then with that many people it was too cheap and they didn't like the gifts.  So, finally a...
1- WE are doing a Jesse Tree and advent wreath this year 2- We went to a local performance of The Nutcracker play- this wasn't free but I won tickets from the radio for the whole family 3- WE always love going to see the light displays 4- We will be going to see a living nativity scene 5- Lots of crafts and such as well of course 6- We are listening to the Cinnamon Bear as well- we love the old radio shows!