or Connect

Posts by julesmiel

I provide what is being requested.  Some of the passion phases we've been through:  salt and vinegar chips, cucumber, ice cream, broccoli, cheez-its, soymilk drink boxes, cherries...I'm sure there were others.    The ice cream phase was most memorable.   We had about 2-3 days of eating 5-6 servings of ice cream in a day.  It was the bulk of food consumed on those days.  And then a couple of weeks of ice cream 2-4 times a day.  And then for about a month, ice cream...
My son asked recently at age 5.  We'd already talked about penis, vagina, egg, uterus, baby development, so he had that to build on.  It was a quick, two-minute conversation in the car.  I explained how sperm shoots out the man's hard penis when he puts it inside the woman, how sometimes the sperm meets an egg and then a baby starts growing in the uterus.  I talked about how people have sex because it feels good and exciting.  So far, that's been it for us.  
In that context, not at all, but I'm not sure the vacation scenario works in comparison to places where folks bring very real emotions and issues.   A bit of context of my own.  I've been involved in one form or another in the online unschooling community for longer than I've been parenting--about 9 years of reading and writing vs. 6 years of parenting.  I discovered unschooling pre-children, was fascinated with it, and immersed myself in it.  What I've noticed about the...
This is timely.  I blogged about feeling like I wasn't getting a full picture of other unschoolers, and how that presents an unrealistic picture to others: http://unschooledliving.blogspot.com/2011/03/shadow-and-light.html
I wonder about this.  If a parent feels better with structure, it may be that the child will do better with structure because the child is in the presence of a happy parent.  If the parent feels better with less structure...same thing? 
    People who identify themselves as radical unschoolers focus on parenting without coercion.     My kids are young, but so far unlimited access to media and food has not been a problem.  They watch TV and do a lot of other things.  They eat junk food and a lot of other food.  As I've parented them, I've kind of deschooled myself in a way.  I've eaten my fill of junk, gorged on my fill of novels in my spare time.  Things get old after a while, and then you want some...
  I think there is middle ground, but only if you're willing to be coercive to some degree.  For me, I just can't find the place inside where I'm able to do that, so I know what works for me.  I do see others, though, that appear to be comfortable where they are--they're able to insist or enforce or coerce.  Their kids don't appear to be terribly unhappy.  I think it's important for each parent to find her "zone of functionality," so to speak.  My zone is way over there...
  We take what comes our way.  The kids often like the educational things--machines that make sounds when you press buttons, for example.  I remember a toy my mom bought for Dmitri (then 4) centered around teaching letters.  Sue, who was a baby at the time, had a great time playing with the buttons, so there can be a use for just about anything.           From my perspective, nothing is really garbage.  For example, I might find parts of the Berenstain Bears patronizing,...
  I was a teacher in a public school for 3-1/2 years, trying to create freedom in the classroom.  Once I discovered unschooling, I felt unable to teach anymore, so I quit.  I immersed myself in everything I could find related to unschooling--Yahoo groups, books by John Holt, John Gatto and Grace Llewellyn.  My first child was born three years later.     Now an unschooling parent to a 2yo and a 5yo, I've found that everything I originally read about trusting in life and...
    Hi, unschooled kids ages 5 and 2 here.  We don't have boundaries or rules, but I am with them to help sort things out when conflict arises.  As far as what they want to do or eat or when they want to go to bed, we structure things to accommodate everyone's preferences.     You might like this story about kids and video games:   http://unschooledliving.blogspot.com/2008/05/learning-from-video-games.html         Yeah, our concept is broad.  If we're breathing, we're...