or Connect

Posts by healthwriter

I apologize for the misinformation of my previous thread, I spoke to my PT and she said kegels are appropriate for truly weak pelvic floors, just not tight or weak AND tight, here's more of what she had to say,   Here is her complete answer, sorry for any confusion I may have caused!:   A toned muscle is not a bad thing, you're correct. Unfortunately, if you 'over-do it' with your pelvic floor muscles, they do not just rest and relax. If you over-strengthen...
I asked my PT your question, which was a very good one! and here's what she had to say:   A toned muscle is not a bad thing, you're correct. Unfortunately, if you 'over-do it' with your pelvic floor muscles, they do not just rest and relax. If you over-strengthen your pelvic floor muscles and they become too tight they often become dysfunctional and begin to cause symptoms. When this happens, people often need to see a pelvic floor physical therapist to return these...
Hi there,   I just wanted to quickly post to correct info that I posted yesterday regarding an article titled: "Stop Doing Kegels: Real Pelvic Floor Advice for Women and Men" that included info by biomechanist Katy Bowman, and advocate AGAINST doing kegels under any circumstances.   I spoke to my pelvic floor PT about this after another member asked what was wrong with having a tight or "toned" pelvic floor, this is what she had to say--basically she says kegels...
I've been writing about the pelvic floor for seven years and any doctor/PT who knows about the pelvic floor, and unfortunately more don't than do will back up what Katy Bowman says. It's bad advice and I'm glad that finally folks are starting to slowly but surely become educated about the pelvic floor. Just trying to do my bit.
Our pelvic floor actually is not like any other group of muscles in our bodies in that it can never fully relax b/c if it did that would cause incontinence. So already the muscles are at a bit of a handicap compared to other muscles in our bodies b/c they can never relax. These muscles are also in a unique position in that they are in an area of the body where they play a role in the functioning of adjacent organs, the urethra, the bladder, etc. I addition, they share...
I thought this was a great blog post on why kegels are no good.   I have pelvic floor pain and have done a great deal of writing on the topic, and every health care provider--doctor/PT I've talked to on this topic, and that equates to dozens agrees that kegels are not only ineffective, they are bad for the pelvic floor.   http://www.pelvicpainrehab.com/blog/2012/08/why-kegels-are-bad-for-your-pelvic-floor/
This is a great article on pelvic girdle pain:   http://www.pelvicpainrehab.com/blog/2012/07/pt-for-pelvic-girdle-pain-during-pregnancy/