or Connect

Posts by Renaissancemom31

Here's an idea I've used a couple of times when I was just totally overwhelmed. Have a really good friend help you with a trouble spot. In my case it was the pantry and the boys room. My best friend helped me with the pantry and my brother (who knows what it's like to be a little boy with amessy room who doesn't care) did the boys room. Another great idea is to just fill your trunk with a load of stuff and take it to the goodwill. If you haven't used it in a year or...
It's too bad - but that seems to be what it's coming to. Kids are exposed to these kinds of images at such an early age. My soon-to-be-11 year old came home from a friends last weekend and wanted to know where our scary/gory movies were (we don't have any - I don't even own the Disney version of Sleepy Hollow. The closest we get is The Great Pumpkin). Then last week I took the boys to find Halloween costumes and all the local stores had were grim reaper, demon, scream,...
Gaiamom - I'd love to hear more about how you went about culling your home and making it so simple. We are working on doing that here. Maybe a New thread? BTW - My boys room is currently empty except for furniture and the mini-tv they had for their Playstation (The PS has been revoked for now - too much time wasted){I don't have naywhere else to keep it - it just sits quietly in the corner]. I took ALL of their toys - and only left two sets of games (an 11 in 1...
The boys room is empty!!!! : : It's taken ALL day but there's nothing left in their room but the bunks, the dresser, the tv (nowhere else to put it), and a couple of board games (I'd feel too guilty taking it ALL). Their clothes are all sorted and stacked in the kitchen. TOmorrow I will go through and set out their winter wardrobe and it'll be done. I'm sooooo excited!!!!
Well - My brother and his wife came over yesterday and hoed out the boys room. Tossed a bunch of trash and generally cleared a path so I can get through to the basement. Bathroom - still looking good - just a matter of upkeep now. Masterbedroom/nursery. - I went through my drawers and the toybox; turned the crib around a cleared underneath it. MOved Michaels summer clotes back downstairs (from when he was home back in August) Hall Closet - didn't mention this the...
NEVER!!! We over 30's have to stand strong!!! 34 isn't old? Welcome to MDC! I'm still fairly new here myself but I feel right at home. I'm amber - mother to Ben,Neil, and Rachel (11,10, 1); wife to Mike
Sara - Your story is just the kind of motivation I need to keep trying to do the right thing. I don't want my chidren to be afraid, I want them to be good. Iwant them to be motivated to be good - and spanking just doesn't accomplish that. When I think about it - it just raises the tension level in the house - making it more and more stressful for all of us. Is there a topic/thread anywhere for people who are struggling with the issue of spanking? Who want to quit...
WOW - it just occured to me that I do something similar to this when I want to spank. Now it make sense - because it's something I never did before I decided to quit spanking! "Also, when I was really mad I would clap my hands together really hard. It sounds crazy but it helped! The action of spanking and the sound would immediately defuse my temper."
A very good point - I hadn't considered that!! "A lot of times this will add up to way more than you can get for your items at a garage sale (or on ebay). " laurabfig
OK - I'll take the leap. I'm a reforming spanker. I was raised by spankers. It's really hard to change, but what I find most useful is to close my eyes and take a big breath (or two, or three). If that doesn't work I get up and calmly leave the room. Another idea is to try to difuse the situation with humor (if appropriate) My boys have pretty much outgrown it. I think my hardest times are when they talk back to me in a disrespectful tone - I have slapped their...