or Connect

Posts by natlav

Yeah - i've been pushing a grade skip since Kindergarten which is why we go the testing done but even with test results that show he clearly could be skipped they basically have stated they dont do grade skips. On the up-side we just got the lottery results and he got into the district STEM magnet school. While its not going to be as much as i hoped (same district so same rules about grade skipping etc) i know they offer math enrichments pullout classes starting in K and...
He is definitely not going back to that school next year - in the meantime i have to find a way to at least survive the rest of this school year. I am of the mind to do exactly what you said, tell them all i can do is have him show up to school, if they are unwilling to make any of the changes that could help then thats essentially their problem. The downside to that is that my son is internalizing his getting sent to the principals office as him being "bad", not to...
Let them pay to have him evaluated - have them do a whole psychoeducational assessment including IQ etc. Its not cheap to do it on your own, so might as well have them pay if they are pushing for it. The school was trying to push the ADHD thing on my son too and i called a ppt and had them do IQ and behavior testing. As much as they were hell bent on him having ADHD or ODD, the test results (from their own testers) showed no clinical evidence, in fact their tests...
Hi - i've posted here in the past about my on-going struggle with my gifted 2nd grader and his current school situation. He is in a public school in a town with good schools but we have struggled with limited to no success to get them to meet his academic needs. He has been in trouble at school since he started - mostly for not participating in group lessons and refusing to do work. In first grade the school agreed to have him evaluated after we called a ppt as they...
Hi - i've posted on here a few times outlining the struggles i've had with DS and getting the school to do anything for him. He was tested by the school last year in first grade and scored a in the 96th percentile with FSIQ but had such a significant variation with processing speed and his other scores that a GAI would be more appropriate - he score int he 98th percentile based on GAI Since K i've been fighting with the school to get him appropriate level of...
You know i hadnt thought of it that way - what he's writing is appropriate for a 7 year old - just seems like knowing how he speaks and what level he reads at he should be doing more! I'll have to tell that to his teachers when they start complaining again that he is"capable of better work" - sometimes i forget he is just 7!
OK not sure what happened to the original reply but hope this isnt a duplicate. I was saying I was curious if this was a common problem/issue with gifted kids? Ds is 7 and loves reading but getting him to write is like pulling teeth. I have a theory taht its because he thinks so much faster than he can write that he gets frustrated. I tried the journal writing this summer but failed - if i asked him to write 5 sentences or more i got exactly 5 sentences of the "We went...
I'm curious - is the aversion to writing a common thing for gifted kids. DS is 7 and loves reading but ask him to write and its like pulling teeth. I personally feel it might be because he thinks so much faster than he can write that he gets frustrated. Thsi is somethign i've struggled with with him. I also attempted the journal writing this summer and got the "I went swimming. It was fun." type entries. I had told him need needed to write at least 5 senences and...
I agree - DH and I are always saying its scary when you have a kid thats smarter than you, and both of us are also highly educated.    I was trying to think of what (aside from video games) DS has been into long term - he liked dinosaurs when he was younger, like a few years ago.  Last year he got interested in the great artists because they did a unit on it in Kindergarten, he couldnt get enough of it but he's over it now.  Lately its space and most recently insects...
LOL you are describing my now 7 year old (also a 1st grader)  to a tee.  I've spent more time in the prinicpals office for him than I care to for the rest of my life.   We had him evaluated for ADHD earlier this year as well because of all the things you metnioned.  His test scores are lower than your sons but still in the gifted range - he also had a significant difference on the WISC IV between his other scores and the processing speed (it was just below...