or Connect

Posts by mgrella

Your utter lack of a sense of scale is astounding.  Nothing is 100% safe.  This includes vaccines and cars and planes and crossing the street and eating lettuce and drinking water.  But we all fly and drive and walk and drink water.  Life does not guarantee a soft and fuzzy outcome, because life is inherently risky.  What allows humanity to move forward is to minimize risk with strategies that increase everyone's odds of living longer and healthier.  This is what...
I agree with Prosciencemum in the need for scepticism in looking for credible information. Nothing (including vaccinating as well as not vaccinating) is 100% safe, but the huge majority of science looking at large numbers comes down squarely on the side of vaccinating to prevent illness, disability and death.  Ultimately the decision is yours of course; however be aware that "not deciding" is also deciding.  Thrilled to answer questions on individual vaccines/illnesses...
Hi - great to hear that you are thinking hard about your baby.  As you can see there are MANY opinions here, both pro and anti.  I'm personally an all-in vaccination supporter and giver but if you are seeking a "suggestion" for spacing things out, Robert Sears, MD has a book (called "The Vaccine Book") and includes a suggested schedule for those who want to space things out.  Big disclaimer: I do NOT recommend following this schedule but it is pretty much what you are...
Everyone here has their own perspective - mine is to accept the science done for generations that has saved countless lives and prevented countless disabilities and move forward.    If you know no one who had polio and is now crippled, great - I do.   If you know no one who had meningitis as a child and is now deaf or epileptic, great - I do.   If you would like to ignore the science and bring your unvaccinated kids to the countries that still have polio and...
Survival long-term, yes.  Indefinitely, no.  Although it may take 20 or 30 years, everyone dies from HIV.    Not sure why you mention Magic Johnson (I didn't) but with limitless funds, yes, progression can be put off for a long time.  If you have access to those funds, let us all know.    And by the way, HIV being "chronic" and "manageable" after 30 years is deplorable - humanity should be ashamed of itself.
Yes, it is.  Everyone progresses to AIDS over time.  There is currently 1 (that is ONE) long-term survivor with no onset of AIDS after many years.  Everyone else dies.  Period. 
Thanks!! MJG
To address the "most important" issue, everyone will have a different answer.  In some ways it's apples to oranges, just like "what's more important, wearing your seat belt or or exercising regularly?"  Both can be lifesaving but hard to compared the "relative goodness".  This also depends hugely on your age and life situations (childed or childless, with elderly parents or not, teen or older parent, etc).  Those with older kids won't care as much about a vax that saves...
This applies only to acetaminophen given BEFORE vaccinations; not after.  Also there was a difference in antibody responses in that study but not a huge one; comes down to a judgement call.
Since there's no way to know if a baby will have a severe reaction (and most don't) there's no recommendation about this; remember that normally pain relievers are used AFTER vaccinations anyway.