or Connect

Posts by RainCoastMama

Quote: Originally Posted by milkydoula I might not have been clear. This is my question.... so when does it become okay to be a parent? When you are out of high school? Financially stable? Have a degree? Have "life experience"? Because RainCoastMama asserted earlier that it was preferable to be degreed/diplomaed/have life experience and i am saying how much is enough? Why the judgment? I just don't get it No judgement, just opinions...
Quote: Originally Posted by stacyann21 My sil and I had our first children in our early 20's. We are both university students and (I like to think) very good parents We must be the 2 exceptions to the rule, hehe. Early 20's? In university? Um....you were hardly a *teen* mom. I'm assuming you graduated high school and were able to financially prepare yourself for uni somehow? 2 things that many *teen* moms I work with are having a helluva...
Quote: Originally Posted by milkydoula This is an interesting statement, and i would like to discuss it, specifically the adjectives used in the first part. This is something i personally don't understand. I strongly disagree that there is some checklist of things you should do before you have kids. That those who don't go to college/get a degree/live on their own/sow their wild oats are silly to jump into parenthood and the subtle implication that...
I'm not Christian, and I voted morbid, even though I understand why it's used. Never, EVER could wrap my head around crucifixes... Good branding though. Shock value. Having said that, my religion has some pretty creepy things going on. Ever google an image of Kali? Sure, she looks menacing, but like the cross, there's deep symbolism that goes way beyond the initial shock value and unless you're part of it, you won't get it. So the cross is my Kali. Maybe this...
Quote: Originally Posted by newmama8824 It would be easier if I was financially ready for a child, but are we ever really READY for kids, no matter what our ages... There are *different* kinds of ready. To wildly speculate that a degreed/diplomaed/job-and-life-experienced woman in her 20s is "just as ready" as a 14-16 year old is, frankly, ludicrous. I wouldn't encourage my DDs into early motherhood...would you? I see very little redeeming...
While I agree that teen pregnancies are sometimes wrongly demonized (and for silly reasosns), for the most part I'd hope that young gals waited until they were older, for a number of reasons. I don't believe that JL is a fabulous role model for young girls as her situation is vastly different than 99.9% of the teen pregnancies out there, given that she had parental acceptance and support, not to mention a crapload of cash and a (kind of) supportive partner. Did I mention...
OoooOoo I did think it was unusual, the wood thing! But I literally shriek and leave the room if someone stirs a metal pot with a metal implement...torture! And my father's got the tearing the cotton ball apart squickiness too... I wonder where it all comes from? Is this a sensory or genetic thing??
Hi mama - No, this type of personality and behviour goes above and beyond cultural difference. Your DH is ill, and needs psychological help. In the meantime, the onus is upon you to protect your little ones and yourself, and you are doing the right thing, as extremely difficult as it is. I'm a social worker and have done women's abuse counselling in the past, and I'm Canadian. You can PM me if you like. I'm not in Alta, but there are many similar laws across our...