or Connect

Posts by travelbug06

Thanks for the further suggestions.  I'll have to give some of these things a try.   I never thought about the language at school being a compounding factor . . . it might be.  It has been such a slow and gentle immersion that I figured it wouldn't cause much stress.  Last year, they spoke mostly English, though this year it is being reduced already.  I'll have to check into that.   Re: being shuttled back and forth and not being able to relax anywhere, my...
Oops.  The "does she have any suggestions part" re: the teacher, I copied from another post because I was going to respond to it.  I got distracted, left it there, and forgot to respond.   So, the teacher.  She suggested bribery (her words, not mine).  Effective perhaps, and while I truly appreciate her taking the time to think about this and try to help, it's not something I am comfortable with.  She also suggested walking in with a friend.  She did that on the...
Oops.  The "does she have any suggestions part" re: the teacher, I copied from another post because I was going to respond to it.  I got distracted, left it there, and forgot to respond.   So, the teacher.  She suggested bribery (her words, not mine).  Effective perhaps, and while I truly appreciate her taking the time to think about this and try to help, it's not something I am comfortable with.  She also suggested walking in with a friend.  She did that on the...
Thank you everyone!   We likely couldn't return to her school because she is currently in a language immersion program which is within our district, but is not the school she would be assigned to if she was in an English program.  If she was homeschooled for a while, she wouldn't keep up on her language learning as well (I just don't have the skills to provide her with an education in another  language), and would therefore not be able to re-enter the program having...
Thanks for your honest replies.  I really appreciate it.   It is possible to volunteer in my daughter's school, though not in another class, and not right at the beginning of the school year as they want to give kids a chance to settle in first.  I did that last year once in a while, and it worked out well.   I have wondered whether I've unintentionally created too much dependence with my daughter.  We moved a few times in her first few years and I didn't really...
I don't know if this fits here, but I couldn't find a better place.  I have raised my daughter with attachment parenting principles (babywearing, co-sleeping, extended breastfeeding, and so on), and value my connection with her above anything else.  Her father and I essentially separated when she was about 1 1/2, but continued living under the same roof for financial reasons.  Now, at almost 6, she also has a step-father, from my new relationship.  She is happy with the...
I was first introduced to mothering.com a few years back, but have never had time to join up.  Finally, here I am.  I am the mother of one lovely little 5 year old, and have been home with her since her birth.  I am committed to attachment parenting, and we did extended breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping.  We're at a transition now, with her beginning grade one, and me beginning to think about work.