or Connect

Posts by lfpalmer

There are formulas that are partly hydrolyzed. Maybe this is what you have now. The ones I mentioned are "fully" hydrolyzed. Allergic and refluxing babies tend to do better on them. These formulas still have traces of intact milk proteins in them though. The MOST hypoallergenic are the formulas made just with amino acids. Many babies finally improve once they get to these. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, without ever having lived together in a cow  : )  ...
I am so sorry you have this challenge, and especially sorry that your doctor seems unwilling to help. As for feeding him "asleep," it sounds as though you haven't drowned him yet. I'm sure you know what you are doing. Most likely, your son is allergic to his formula. You will want to try switching either to a soy formula, such as Isomil or Prosobee, or to a hydrolyzed milk formula, such as Alimentum or Nutrimigen.
This is wonderful news, and your story can be valuable to many moms.
Being overtired can certainly cause greater difficulty falling asleep, as cortisol is released to help the body stay awake, and then sleep is difficult until this hormone level drops. I don't really think that being overtired is going to contribute to multiple wakings once a baby is asleep though. The combined symptoms of colic, reflux, difficulty sleeping, and frequent wakings suggest that your baby is reacting to some food in her diet (or in breastfeeding mother's diet)....
Yes. The sweet dear is looking for familiar sources of comfort where the present is scary and uncomfortable. Be with her as much as you can and don’t worry about going along with her baby-like behaviors, or even facilitating them some. Share stories about happy toddler days and eventually progress these forward. Give her all the snuggling you can. These behaviors will fade away gradually as soon as she’s home and feeling better.
Gosh, I don't. I do know that children can still partially breastfeed, with Phe levels being monitored.   Since it's common for medical establishments to be behind on the newest studies, here's a link to what appears to be a good summary of current advances and knowledge:  http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/9/1/7   (let me know if you can't see the full-text here).   Good luck to you and your little one. The silver lining is that a PKU diet tends to be...
Toxoplasmosis. I'm glad to see more tests being done.
This is very serious, as you know, and you certainly need continued, intensive medical assistance, as you are following. It also makes sense to be reaching out to other directions to see what could possibly be missed.   Has she had any fevers? Dou you have a current hemoglobin level?   I have another chief question. The standard meaning of exclusive breastfeeding is no formula or solid foods of any kind. Some use the term just to mean no formula, while they are...
This one is no toughy for me. There is a LOT of research out there showing fluoride has slight potential harms, with very little upside. Whole cities and whole nations have decided against polluting their water supplies with it. They can't all be that clueless. How about this Harvard-supervised review of all the many studies on neurological effects: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3491930/  It states this:  "Thus, children in high-fluoride areas had...
This might not be the answer you're looking for, but I see nothing wrong with napping in a lovely rocking recliner chair (car seat), though it may not look so good to outsiders. If she's happy and sleeping well, I'd stick with it. I promise she'll grow out of it some day.    I'm sorry about her night wakings. It's pretty common, but that doesn't make it easier. It doesn't sound as though it's hunger. Yes, she may still be having some reflux, but if she's not eating...