or Connect

Posts by lfpalmer

In agreement with graphs from CDC and NIH data on all kinds of infectious diseases, Dr. Nelson, in representation of leading John Hopkins School of Public Health makes a statement to the same effect as kathymuggle's statement. He writes: "It is frequently assumed that the ... development of vaccines and antibiotics are the reasons that mortality has changed, but this is not quite true for most infectious diseases."   Look carefully at frame 11 at this link:...
Yes, the vaccine stats don't hold water but the premature factor in U.S. is no excuse for our miserable IMR. CDC says "The U.S. 'does a good job of saving babies when they are born preterm,' Marian F. MacDorman, PhD, of the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics, tells WebMD. 'The problem we have is prevention, preventing that preterm birth, and that’s where we are in trouble, I think.' "   That we have more preterm births (and thus more infant losses) doesn't make...
Oh my hat goes off to you. You’ve really persevered and surpassed your goals. You have a lucky little girl. I’m so sorry things didn’t really improve for you. You really gave it the best effort. Isn’t it interesting how at this age babies just can’t “get” empathy, or understand that they’re hurting you. They do get beyond it but it can be quite a tough wait. I was able to slip a finger in alongside my nipple without breaking my son’s latch. That way my finger would get...
If you feel much better when avoiding gluten and dairy then that’s a big clue. You could try some GI function stool tests to see how much impact gluten might be having on you. One can certainly be intolerant without having “official” celiac antibodies.   Studies on food avoidance to prevent allergies in the unborn have weak findings. There does seem to be some suggestion that avoiding major allergens can have a small impact on reducing the child’s risk. Avoiding...
Oh my. It will take a little while to get all the diagnoses sorted out and you do need mainstream medical tests and advice right now. Yes, relax sounds great though. He's really going to be just fine. I'll just mention a few things about  thalassemia, in the case this is the final diagnosis. It can be valuable to obtain medical help in monitoring iron levels regularly over the years, as iron overload is as much a concern here as is anemia, but they're both treatable....
I’m glad the probable cause of the murmur has been found. That’s a relief, though they usually aren’t a big concern. The cause of the anemia is perplexing though. There is certainly intestinal bleeding in those with food allergies and intolerances. It’s possible that enough blood has been/is being lost in tiny little increments over time, each time you hit a new food allergy learning curve, or when there were hidden food exposures.   It’s very common for babies to be...
woohoo
Maybe you can find a way to barricade him safely on the adult bed? Wedge pillows? Guard rails? Stacks of pillows on the floor? I guess I sort of did all of the above at times. If he has to actively crawl very far to get off the bed then he’s going to climb down vs. fall off.   I found the backpack, with most of the weight on my hips, worked well for a couple years after front carriers. My son loved to be cheek-to-cheek with me and see what I saw, and I could work...
At the below link I have reviewed all of the studies used in a 2005 AAP publication in the Journal of Pediatrics. Attendant media releases hawked the dangers of cosleeping while a dissection of the very studies they used in their review supports the safety and benefits of cosleeping, when practiced on safe surfaces with safe bedding, when not impromptu, and when parents are non-smoking and not under the influence of drugs or...
It is quite common for food allergies to develop over the first months in babies, and also for them to go away randomly in the first couple of years. That doesn’t mean this IS your child’s challenge. I do trust what moms observe and you sound pretty sure that you observed allergic reactions to some solid foods. Any child who’s going to truly react to those low-allergen foods is very likely to have been having other reactions. Reflux is very much a food sensitivity thing....