or Connect

Posts by lfpalmer

It would certainly be easy enough to try the yogurt on the forearm again. If you have the "courage," you could rough a little spot of skin up ever so slightly with an emery board to increase the exposure to her system. Do another little patch without yogurt in it then.   Typically, I wouldn't expect a lactose ingredient to cause problems, except that it can be contaminated with milk proteins. Certainly those with moderate to severe milk allergies need to avoid...
Some people with food allergies may not react to a one-time re-introduction of a food only weeks after their last exposure. This means their antibody levels dropped very quickly. (If it is still an allergy, they would react to the 2nd or 3rd re-introduction within a day or two.) There are others who can very strictly avoid something and have a huge reaction upon an accidental exposure a year or more later. Some allergies are just more imbedded and determined.     For...
Oh my goodness, there are mounds of evidence that mother passes components from her diet on through her breastmilk. We certainly know that drugs are passed on in milk. Nursing mothers are warned against consuming much alcohol or caffeine. Many who pump regularly know that their milk even looks and smells differently, depending upon their dietary intake. How could one think the diet doesn't affect the milk? Eat a bunch of beets and pump some milk. You might be surprised...
  What a very normal and natural, a little tougher than most, and a very challenging situation you have with your very delightful bundles. Yes, you are right... you've already proverbially pushed the toddler off your lap; it may not be such a great idea to push her out of your bedroom too right now. I don't see it making things better. You might want to try some musical parenting though (like musical chairs). Sometimes dad and toddler are in this room, and mom and baby...
  Yes, it’s not well understood but your hormone balance can certainly influence your susceptibility to yeast takeover. You started having yeast infections at the age you started making more estrogen. Ovulation is the peak of estrogen in your cycle. Estrogen dominance is a growing state for “modern” women, encouraged by estrogenic pesticides and plasticizers that pervade our environment, along with other causes. Some find that using a little bio-identical progesterone...
  These four precious gems are a large calling. You have a very big and incredibly important job. I hope you give yourself credit for managing your super-mom position so warmly and wonderfully. Sometimes when moms have twins, friends and family initially surround them, delightfully providing helpful support, but this flocking naturally fades over time while the challenges do not fade nearly as quickly. I encourage you to explore your resources for a little...
I should add that this FDA pronouncement was all about the competition between big pharma and nutritional supplements. The FDA strongly protects the drug industry, well beyond the bounds of evidence-based science, and does their best to deface anything that is not part of big industry. 
Well, you're certainly not crazy for being vigilant. It gets so complicated out there today... Read this link carefully about the lead in vitamins: http://www.michaelmooney.net/Lead_In_Vitamins.pdf   It's very accurate and explains quite well that there's less lead in vitamins than in most common foods and that in foods come from natural levels in the soil.   The problem here is that we can now measure such incredibly miniscule amounts of elements and chemicals. All...
  I'm so sorry you are having this challenge. Some others find nursing during pregnancy just plain uncomfortable in itself, and as you know, milk production usually reduces and sometimes stops. Some, of course, are just wonderfully successful at nursing throughout pregnancy and tandem beyond. From the stories I hear, it sounds a little bit to me as though weaning during pregnancy is a little bit natural? This statement is in no way intended to encourage anyone to do so...
  I’m glad things are working out better for your older child. You are right that clues from one should help us diagnose the other. The infrequency of stools in your older child is not a concern by itself but when you mention the pain, that’s certainly an indicator that something’s not right. It could have been that more foods besides or instead of dairy were the culprits. The cod liver oil and probiotics sound excellent. The dysbiosis is a rather vague finding but...