or Connect

Posts by lfpalmer

Yes, I'll dig up and send some links to studies on heavy soy exposure in infants. I have to say that all the hype on the web about soy is in theory --- theories about the anti-nutrients (which are also in wheat) --- theories about estrogenics (which are also in flax but possibly weaker form) --- theories about thyroids, etc etc. Personally I'm more interested in outcomes --- morbidity and mortality outcomes from prospective & retrospective dietary and epigenetic studies....
The reason the yogurt is suspect in the anemia in this case is chiefly the timing. Yes, it is a wonderful food for babies. There are four modes of action by which early introduction of yogurt could have caused anemia.   First of all, when a baby is being exclusively breastfed, they receive their iron from mom's milk, bound to lactoferrin. This lactoferrin provides not only highly efficient iron absorption, but wonderful immune protection by keeping the iron bound so...
Matumama: Yes, there are other numbers/measures but I think we can be pretty sure those are hemoglobin numbers. Sounds as though your babies were a little anemic for probably just a little while. This is why blood testing is performed around 9 months, the most common age for anemia to appear. Your babies would have had good stores, from being born good-sized and near-term, to a healthy mom, and being breastfed; probably exclusively for about 6 months. These good stores...
You and your son have together found the perfect bliss and perfect solutions to your challenges. I sure see no reason to mess with that. Babyhood and motherhood are both full of transitions. Things change for both of you practically every day, and you both adapt and grow on an as-needed basis. We can't spend our time worrying about making babyhood too cozy or wonderful, for fear that one day it may need to be less so.    There's a small possibility of one future...
What would happen if our milk-full breasts were in the sun??  Did you know they used to expose cow's milk to UV light in order to raise the vitamin D levels in the milk?   Of course breastmilk is not naturally vitamin D deficient, but many of us adult women are deficient and so our milk can be too. Babies are intended to get a little bit of sun themselves, I'm sure.   Liver is another high vitamin D food that's gone by the wayside, as well as the skins of meats....
I guess you can see that my reply passed yours in cyber-space. You can reply to my couple questions and add any new questions, and I'll be back with you soon. For the most part, their diets sound great now and I think all will be fine. I guess I was thinking that the cereal was the "prescribed" supplement. No, I wouldn't give them a prescription supplement at this point. If really wanting a potent supplement, I'd go for Floradix, but I don't think you need it and the...
Yes, good info. I'm going to assume your babies are 6 to 12 months as they are eating solids, and a few months after solids are begun in a breastfed baby is the most likely time of finding some anemia in them, though the risk is low.     Premature birth is common with twins and is a common factor in the development of anemia. They just have less time to store, and less blood when they are born. Other factors include immediate cutting of the cord, subtle (or not so...
So you are in Mississippi or West Virginia? All other states have at least a religious exemption, as far as I know. (Can you say that you religiously "believe" in not giving vaccines that concern you? Sounds applicable to me.) Your baby's breastmilk is a great vaccine, but you may want to choose some vaccinations as he gets older. If you are concerned about the pertussis "outbreaks," then you'd want the vaccination as you hear about them, as that vaccine doesn't last...
There's corn syrup in commercial whipped creams, so it could be a corn allergy. There are also nitrous oxide allergies -- that's the propellant in Reddi Whip. The gassiness reactions to milk introductions are a red flag to me though. It takes a while usually to build an allergy, so the few bottles as an infant could have not been enough to find out what could have been, and he did exhibit some reaction. It's a little curious, but some babies will react minimally or not...
You've gotten some good comments. Thanks so much Dom&O for the EO28 Splash info. I had never heard of it. There are more and more options all the time.    Jen, if your baby reacts to cow's milk, you might not want to give him cottage cheese or yogurt, as you suggested. The milk proteins --- the part of milk that babies are allergic to --- are only partially pre-digested in Enfamil Gentlease. If your son tolerated this, then he might be OK with predigested proteins in...