or Connect

Posts by stacyyork

Ahh...I love this question!  I always say that the "Terrible Twos" are really the terrific twos because when a child is tantruming and testing, they are doing what they are supposed to developmentally!  When my daughter was 2 (she's now 5), she would throw these fits that lasted for 2-3 hours sometimes.  At first, I thought, "What am I doing wrong?"  Then, the more I learned about child development and normal brain development, the more I learned that what I should be...
A couple tips that I have learned from my own kiddos and working with other kiddos...they never know the answer to "WHY?"  "why" is an abstract concept and kids won't start being able to answer this question until they are in middle school and sometimes not even high school.  So, I try not to put their why questions back on them.  I try to reframe it using who, what, when, or where.  For example, "Mommy, why do we have to...."  I say, "Tell me what we do when we have...
I'm not sure if any of you have heard of Time-In.  I view Timeouts as used for when the adult needs a break...to get away from the kids so that the adult (me) can calm down, regroup, and then re-enter the relationship.  TimeIn is for the kiddo.  This means that they need more love, attention, guidance, and direction for how to handle a situation.  They may need their world made smaller, so you bring them closer to you.  A child needs role-modeling to understand how to...
I am right there with ya right now!  I have a wonderful 5.5 year old daughter who talks to me with her hands on my hips and says things like, "Mother, when you tell me "no" that's rude and it hurts my feelings. So, please don't tell me "no." "  Yep, it's lovely that she uses her words, but man I don't enjoy when she talks like that.   So, a few things that have been helpful for me...   1.  Definitely, the book "Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Control."  Love that...
Thanks for such brutal honesty in posting.  A few things come to mind.  First, where is he at emotionally?  Sometimes we confuse emotional versus chronological age.  You mentioned that attachment parenting didn't happen for this little guy until later in life.  He may be having the emotional needs of a 4 year old or 6 year old, or even a 2 year old.  That can be really confusing when you have 3 younger kids.  He may leave you to go to his dad's house and be in the space...
So glad you posted this!  I have a 5 year old girl and 4 year old boy.  They are 13 months apart and two strong-willed kiddos!  We spend a lot of time in the car...traveling to relatives house, but we also live about 20 minutes outside of the nearest town, so anytime we have to go to town, we are in the car.  A couple tricks we use...let them "pack a bag" for in the car.  We always let them take at least 2 items (one for each hand) if we are just running into town that...
I can remember feeling this same way!  Even now, as my son is crying in the store because he wants something and we have gently set a limit.  I know that he is crying because he is sad and accepting that limit.  However, people look at me like I'm crazy as I'm comforting him and validating his feelings, "Yes, buddy, I know it's hard when you can't have what you want."  I even had a lady tell me that I needed to be firmer and just say no.  I think many people in our...
Ladies, This information is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you for sharing!  I know that for myself and most of the parents who come through my office doors, we talk about our parenting "blueprints." Basically, what were we taught about how to be a parent.  Some of us get such conflicting messages from how we were raised versus how we want to raise our children. This can lead to unnecessary power struggles.  Thanks again for your input. Have a lovely day!
Hello!  I was recently asked to do a parenting video about the challenges parents face.  I know for me there are several and I thought I would go to the experts...all of you and see what your input is.  My challenges include:   Sleep avoidance at bedtime Huge tantrums at the word no Cranky/irritability when sleepy Sibling discord   While I know that all of these are pretty normal for toddlers and early school-aged kiddos, I wanted to see what challenges you...
Great thread! As a family, we have been working on active listening since the kiddos were just wee babes.  We talk about taking turns when talking and then repeating what they hear.  Both my husband and I try to model this for them as well.  "So what I hear you saying is..."  We then ask if that's correct.  As a therapist, the first place I start with any client in my office, is active listening.  I work with kids and parents.  What I observe the most is that our own...