or Connect

Posts by gonyere

I cook beans in my crockpot all the time without boiling them first (sort. rinse. dump in crockpot. fill with water. add an onion halved. turn on. wait 4-8 hrs) I've never heard this and certainly never had a problem. Mostly I do pinto & black beans fwiw.
Just wondering if there are any unschoolers in North Eastern/Central Ohio? I'm in Carroll County south of Canton/Akron and am considering homeschooling my boys (5.5 & 3). I know quite a few homeschoolers around but none of them are unschoolers. Just wondering if theres anyone out there :)
If your driving, I highly recommend driving as straight-through as possible. DH & I drove to Boston a month ago from OH (~11 hrs each way), essentially straight through. We borrowed my dad's portable DVD player and let them watch movies (OK, mostly they watched Star Wars:The Clone Wars seasons 1-3...). It kept them (mostly) happy and let us drive with very minimal stopping. I remember driving straight through to Colorado to see my grandparents as a kid - 24 hrs in the...
I'd feed formula till at least 12 months. I never did give mashed/baby-foods though. I just started them off with little bits of whatever we were eating - once they could sit up, they sat at the table with us and had little bits of food to pickup with their fingers (or try to). Eventually they moved on to having spoons/forks/etc, so that by 2ish they were eating with all the rest of the family the same things as we were. Good luck!
I learned to cook mostly by looking up recipes for stuff I liked to eat out and making it at home. Stuff like Lasagna, Chicken Parmesan, General Tso's Chicken, Eggplant Parmesan, etc. Some stuff I had recipes from my mother, and I did learn to bake as a kid (cookies, muffins), but mostly I learned by doing.    If I was starting out now, or helping someone else, I'd recommend they go buy "How to Cook Everything" by Mark Bittman (or HTCE:Vegetarian if your veg). It has...
:hugs: I haven't spoken to my mother in more than a year - since late last summer (July/August of 11'). She has never respected me as an adult and constantly made snide remarks about me and how I was choosing to live my life and/or raise my kids. I could never be good enough for her - either I wasn't playing with my kids enough, or I was feeding them horrible food or my house wasn't clean enough or... something. Always something. Then for a year or so before I finally...
Its best, IME to buy tickets 6-8 weeks out. Flying Tues/Wed sometimes Thursday for the best prices. For hotels, check out booking.com - they have hotels, motels and hostels all over the world, and the same prices (sometimes better) than priceline.    As far as prices go, I got DH & I tickets from Columbus to Brussels for ~ $750 last year in February. Tickets from Pitsburg to Madrid in July were ~$1200. A year and a half ago, I got tickets for DH & several buddies...
We're pretty set for a long term power outage... we have a hand pump for water and an outhouse thats been here forever as well. I try to keep a decent stock of food around of varying types - various canned goods, dried pasta, flour, beans, grains, condiments, etc. I do this partially in case we get trapped down here (ie trees on the power lines - we're pretty far down the list of 'need to get to them' though we've only been out of power for more than a few hours once in...
We hunt deer and raise meat goats. My Dad & DH both hunt deer and I anticipate my boys (5.5 & 3) going out with them in the next few years to sit and, some day shoot deer. We do butcher our own deer and have for years... a couple years ago we had one sitting in our house for hours while it dethawed as it had frozen solid overnight. It had to thaw before we could first skin and then butcher it. :shrug:    I avoid buying meat from grocery stores as much as I can. As...
I honestly don't know. I think I'd be surprised that I had two kids and was back living at home, but probably not unhappy - growing up, I always said I'd live here... so while I didn't think I'd be moving home anytime soon when I was 22/23 just a year or two before doing so, I'm not terribly surprised it happend eventually, more so that it happend so soon. :shrug: