or Connect

Posts by Songsparrow

I have renamed this thread to reflect the evolving conversation~ no longer focused on the single multicultural holiday event, but brainstorming further ideas for creative & meaningful gatherings with kindred spirits.   I like the idea of creating our own new traditions (though I love many of the old ones, too!), whether it's to celebrate seasonal shifts, universal human connections, common dreams, childhood imagination, food, music, storytelling....   It's...
It's never to late to make plans~ welcome aboard! We'd love to meet up and make friends and dream up more wild & crazy events. I'll send our info on over. Anyone else out there wanting to create some kid-friendly magic, raise your hand.
Ikoz2,   looking forward to meeting up! We are near Duvall, and regularly travel to Redmond/Woodinville/Carnation/etc. And anyone else in this general area interested in holiday fun, get in touch and we'll make a plan.   We're excited to meet you all!   : )
Hi all,   I'm wondering if any of you crunchy/homeschooling/progressive folks out there would be interested in a little seasonal meet-up~   1) because really, can you ever have too much tribe? I LOVE meeting kindred spirits and so do my kids.   2) Tis' the season to celebrate, and if a little fun learning can be squeezed into that, so much the better!   What I have in mind is a sort of magic carpet ride around the world, visiting different cultures and...
Hi all,   I'm wondering if any of you crunchy/homeschooling/progressive folks out there would be interested in a little seasonal meet-up~   1) because really, can you ever have too much tribe? I LOVE meeting kindred spirits and so do my kids.   2) Tis' the season to celebrate, and if a little fun learning can be squeezed into that, so much the better!   What I have in mind is a sort of magic carpet ride around the world, visiting different cultures and...
Thank you! I am definitely loving it.  
My heart goes out to you.   Lillian said it so well-- I was just thinking I should mention the "deschooling time" theory. I've seen that play out again and again as a teacher in alternative/progressive schools, with kids transferring in from traditional public school situations. I second the thought 4evermom had above, one of the beauties of homeschooling is its flexibility. What a gift to you at a time like this.   Here's an idea: give him a place at the...
Thanks for the great suggestions! I will be checking them out. I only have Enki K and 1, so the multicultural angle of grade 2 will be new treasure for us. And I have the Playful Learning book, but had no idea about the extensive website. It's wonderful.   I just thought of some more I loved using when I was still teaching in a classroom setting-   1.  Spinning Inward, a collection of lovely visualizations and insight on how to use guided imagery to enhance...
Hi everyone,   I have a burning question for you: What curriculum, books, resources, models etc. have you come across in your homeschooling experience that really, deeply inspired you? Like, you got butterflies in your stomach when you read it and couldn't wait to get with your kids and share the magic?   I'm kind of just picking & choosing as we go along here; making up creative learning dramas when I don't have something better and using published stuff when...
Hi everyone,   I have a burning question for you: What curriculum, books, resources, models etc. have you come across in your homeschooling experience that really, deeply inspired you? Like, you got butterflies in your stomach when you read it and couldn't wait to get with your kids and share the magic?   I'm kind of just picking & choosing as we go along here; making up creative learning dramas when I don't have something better and using published stuff when...