or Connect

Posts by drumcircledad

Sooo impressed that this got resolved! No one knows (thank heavens!) how many kids and their parents may ave been spared trauma because he's locked up again. How are your nephews doing? Did your sister blame her kids or anyone else (other than her husband) or him going to jail again? I hope she's ok and also hope she learns to see things for what they really are.
Hello everyone, just want to update that, 1 1/2 months later, everything has turned around for the better! It took listening to you guys and also doing additional research on the net to keep trying things. If I were to try to boil down what worked best to really turn it around, I'd say a combo of much less talk and more immediate consequences, refusing to engage her while she's crying/screaming, always reviewing what happened and what the consequence is when she calms...
Thank you again everyone, these all are so helpful! Particularly appreciate the point about them still figuring out at this age that they're not always going to get their way and railing against that. That makes a lot of sense and fits what usually seems to be happening when tantrums happen. But we may still take her to the child psych too - I know our own adult anxiety may be making this worse and an expert "calm down, she's basically fine" might really help. Thanks all!
Thanks you guys! I want you to know these posts are really helpful! Can't help but wonder though if we aren't indeed in the minority because there are so few responses? Not to hijack OPs thread but my DP is pressing for us to take DC to a child psychologist and his mom (who is an elementary school principal) is agreeing with him that her tantrums at this age are problematic. I guess we'll at least start by asking our Ped about her behavior and take it from there...
Dd will be 4 very soon, and while I definitely know better than to expect her "terrible threes" behavior to suddenly end just cuz her birthday is coming up, I also am wondering where the line between "normal" 4 yr old boundary-testing/tantrums and "concerning/not age-appropriate" tantrums is. I know it's hardly a cler line, but I would really like to hear some wise mama takes on this. These days over the course of a regular week, DD averages one mega meltdown a day. ...
My wife said my three year old daughter is very social, is a Sagittarius, and is already boy crazy and maybe predisposed to early sexual experimentation. She plays 'castle' at school, and lets the 'king' kiss her to 'wake' her up. I can't go to her school and yell at the three year old boy, but I will talk to her teacher, and the boys parent. What can I do with or to my daughter about this to discourage this behavior. My wife is a 'child' professional and brought this to...