or Connect

Posts by mwherbs

In your post on table 1 Second to the last one, spontaneous labor or induction as an out patient
There are fads and trends in evidence.. The more recent evidence has been against active management. Just like the past "evidence" supporting that epidurals dont change the c-section rate. . And no I am not saying that we dont need ceus but there is a different beginning mind set, for people who will not and do not do selfstudy.
i am pretty sure the majority of students in my state for the last 5 years maybe more have primarily been students of schools.  I am not sure that schools actually will turn out the same type of study midwifery for life students. What you have to think about is that women who will not do self study or are not good at it but can go and have information fed to them- like they were trained to do via school systems in general - are probably not going to be life long...
Thanks for pointing that list out Pillowy, thse are for OOH inductions.....this just shows how common induction is, and how there is a disconnect even in supposedly highly educated providers . The question keeps being asked what do trained OOH providers do that may be different. Most would reject this recommendation.
Everyone keeps saying that the UK midwives or other out of country midwives have superior educationa and they represent college degrees.. And yet for years upon years a foreign midwife moves here and at best she can sit for the RN exam/ licensing. I call baloney on all your posturing when it comes down to brass tacks the professional organizations do not accept them as equals or superior education. a BS is about what a completely foreign midwife can expect to have...
The more i think about it , the more it comes to no. Are the CNMs proposing that they are part of this regulation? No Are the Naturopaths? No Are the MDs? No. The regulation is on midwives who are not nurses. as a mother , because of "fads" in regulation was a componet of why I did have a UC with my last child. I would not ask a midwife to break a rule for me. Right now we have as rule a strict freedman's curve- of 1cm/hr primip and 1.5cm/hr multip , even though...
So what about the women who leave medical care to seek out a home birth alternative? Hasnt that already been done? Where the physician or CNM has already given mom/family the risks and she has sought out another way. I think that the English method sounds good, i also dont see that happening anytime soon here. Actually when i was younger doctors would interact with our clients much more freely and it wasnt such a hard thing to accomplish . But then again those docs...
She got ahold of the data before it was checked over for errors and before all the information was gathered. She has a definate stated bias on who should be called a midwife- CMs and CNMs.... The intended out of hospital births where there is no prenatal care are probably not midwife attended homebirths- for what ever reason a mom/ parent may not have wanted to disclose that they had no provider... Also the definiton for inadequate care is less than 4 visits... That...
The numbers havent been that "bad" before in Oregon. Before the report year it was parity or less than hospital births and the LMs. The midwives have for a very long time asked to have each type of midwife divided out on the birth certificates for maybe 20 years now and the state had never felt it was important.
We have had paternalism for a very long time. As long as the majority feels like that is acceptable there will be no real tort reform and no true informed consent honored. I do know midwives who act the same way doctors do in that they have a way they always practice and only give nod to true informed concent. look at that Flordia case where the doctor felt his view was so correct that he call the police on the mom who went home to make arraingements for her family in...