or Connect

Posts by mwherbs

When i lived near Oregon one spiritual midwife I knew, only prayed at births-, she would go to the health department and would report the births using the midwife designation, i would guess that even if the laws in Oregon changed to require a license they would not be able to stop her and others like her from attending births.
I looked at the wonder pages to narrow down mortality rates of twins GA born Method of delivery , So western region 07-08 no twin births reported past 37 weeks. The greatest number of births were between 34-36 weeks and a very high death rate for twins over all- total twin births Oregon that year was between 450 and 500 births and the infant mortality rate was 47 / 1000
Here is one article on the subject- i have to say that because of the concern of unknow cause of stillbirth that what I have seen is pretty much standard c-section delivery offered/ done at 34 weeks . http://www.obgynnews.com/index.php?id=11370&type=98&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=135891&cHash=da03e20e36
Except that the countries that we point to having lower mortality all along for the last 100 years have been midwife countries with direct entry/ vocational pathways to being a midwife- the out of country midwives I have met for the most part have alot of physical sensibilities ? CNM midwifery is becoming a Doctorate crediental very soon... Do we really believe that it takes a doctorate level education to be a midwife?
So 12 hrs of clinicals in a week sure , students I have worked with could easily get that and if attending births would surpass that in 1-2 months. Didnt the Yale program when starting out have an 18 month midwife certification, for non- nurses? So if we were to strip out the " higher learning" and had a direct entry / vocational tech education it could be done in the 3 year schools- remember that the schools are mainly didatic. the majority of the clinical education is...
She does list her source the birth certificate data--- Twins do represent a clear bit of info and should be removed from the Oregon data when being compared because they surely are removed from the hosptial data- the medical policies on twins is deliver them at 34 weeks...just because they are twins nothing has to be in essence wrong- and because of being born early have a higher chance of dying .. And this is a 1 year review analysis not really a study- to be clear...
I think that the demographic of home birth says alot . You consider the older white,married college educated multip to be able to advlocate for herself and yet those are the women giving up on trying to fight with the hospital providers. That group of women are not the only ones we serve but the biggest portion- and the studies on older moms put them at higer risk of term stillbirth and other things not as high as women of color but higher than the 18-30 yo white moms. ...
Mothercat, associates or bachelor's ? I am pretty sure these were associates RNs they have complained and complained about how little time and focus and how scared they were during clinicals...
the primary cause of preterm birth now is induction or c-section . So it is when ever ,yes there are desires to get a baby to 33-34 weeks but not always.... And it would be incorrect to think that midwives in Oregon do not attend breeches, twins and vbac because they do. . The controlling was for term births. So twins by medical birth/c-section are almost always preterm 34 weeks- so twin stats would probably not be included in the Oregon hospital term birth stats- but...
.6/ 1000 seems very very low. And these are the numbers for 1 year- hard to say if it was a fluke or a true trend. So what is the rate of iatrogenic preterm birth in Oregon? And what is the associated death rate with that? This is also why i included infant mortality rates in the above link because it is easy now to maintain a baby for a month or more but not forever- i recently was interviewed by a couple who had heroic measures used on their last baby and the...