or Connect

Posts by Anglyn

I am an EI worker and we recieved this email at work. I'm not sure why the rush, but am guessing maybe he is here on a medical visa and they would like to place him before he is sent back to the orphange, out of our country and beyond reach. Here is the email with contact info: Friends we have a little boy who needs our help. He was born in Eastern Europe in January of '09. He is a precious little one who was born with a cleft lip and palet. He is otherwise in really...
DS1 is 18 and from a previous marriage. Then dh and I have dd, age 6 and two more ds's four and two! DS1 was 11 before he got a sibling, he also went from it being just me and him for years to sharing me and my attention with a stepfather, new siblings and my fil and a nephew that all came with dh. He has issues. He was thrilled about dd and excited about ds2 but by the time I got pregnant with ds3 he was all like, "ok, mom,stop now, ok?" He has some sensory issues and...
Quote: Originally Posted by prairiebird Well, Now four out of my 5 little ones and my hubby have had what they said was H1N1 (positive swabs for a type A influenza, but who knows the strain. They're just calling everything now in our state H1N1). I'm waiting on the last one, though he's still feeling great. We haven't had too many highly serious problems with it, but lots of heavy coughing, a few double ear infections, and a handful of other...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dar I like this. I've found that I can do so much more with my one child than my friends with two closely spaced (or even not so closely spaced) kids have been able to do. It's much easier to meet the needs and follow the whims of one when off adventuring. And now she's a lovely, kind, social, generous, popular teen... This is true. Lots of up sides to only children, including never having a house full of...
My first child was an only child for 11 years. People are idiots. Of course, now that I have four, I get the opposite kind of comments. People just have to pick I guess. I use to say, "Of course he's spoiled, why have kids if you can't spoil them, isn't that the point?" cuz to me, spoiled just meant indulged, not over indulged, just well loved. I had one friend who knew how badly I wanted another child complain constantly to me about her second, unplanned and unwanted...
Quote: Originally Posted by THANKFULFORFIVE I think I would totally be understanding of that situation...only because my old neighbor shared a similiar story that happened with her son........(also involving the dog) They had just recently taken the dog to the vet and her son stayed to watch as the dog's temp was taken rectally. Her son(6 at the time) was absolutely amazed at the fact that there was a "hole" there. His mom had to explain what that hole...
Quote: Originally Posted by caro113 My mother tried telling me that because her aunt (my grandmother's sister) had polio back in the 1930s that I should get my daughter vaccinated against polio. This is my mothers favorite argument. One of her best friends had polio and she says that my problem is that I've never seen how bad it is since I've always lived in a world without it due to the vaccinations but it can come back. When I tell her that...
One of my FB friends posted some antivax stuff and it turned into a huge, huge, HUGE argument!! With me right in the middle of it, or course!!
Quote: Originally Posted by Piglet68 The "school is great" stories seem to be geared towards the preschoolers and young set who are first entering the system. Given that preschool can be such a fun place, it's no wonder that kids that age tend to be rather excited about going to school. But by the time they've had a couple years of "real school" it seems their attitude changes. Which is why, I think, stories tend to then move towards the...
Quote: Originally Posted by homeschoolingmama I have a question. We unschool. I thought this involved occasionally introducing interesting ideas? For ex. I may grab a book of crafts and we can look to see what crafts we may want to do. Or I will grab one of our science experiment books and we do an experiment. If the children are not interested I drop it but I still introduce fun ideas. We even have a math curriculum that my girls LOVE. We do...