or Connect

Posts by Isabeau

Hello, I have an 11 yr old son and 7 yr old daughter and really want to do some camping with them and other families. Are there any groups that exist (ie "meetups" or other) that I can join? I have some friends who camp but it always seems our schedules don't coincide. I'd love to hear from other in Vancouver about ideas.
Hi there, there seems to be absolutely nothing offensive in what you've written and I can't say that I have any helpful insights as to why your supervisor is reacting to this. If anything, the rules appear very helpful in that they clearly describe how this approach could be applied. Having the children help you write some rules is one thing...I wonder if writing these with your supervisor might work? Then, maybe she wouldn't react like she has. ?? Isabeau, Vancouver BC
Hello, My son is nearly 6 years old and still wears a diaper at night. One doctor and websites I've visited indicate that until a boy is 7, wetting the bed at night is "normal". He's now at an age where he tells me how much he'd like to be dry at night. He'd like to have friends sleep over and is ashamed of wearing a diaper. Neither his dad or I have made a big deal over it. However, in my hear, I'd really love for him to be dry because he wants it badly. We've tried...
I have a daughter who is just over 2 years of age. She regularly scratches her brother in the face. It started when she was about 1 year old. Sometimes, it is because she wants a toy he's playing with (of course, she frequently wants to play with what he's playing with), other times it appears to be TOTALLY out of the blue. I'm growing increasingly angry when she does this. I explain that this behaviour hurts - but beyond that, I don't know what to do. It is totally new...
Yes, my daughter (now 25 mo) did this for the longest time. Yes, she finally stopped (but still occassionally does this when she's pissed off and tired). When she was old enough and we knew she understood, we eventually started taking her plate away from her when she'd throw food on the floor. Then, of course, she'd want the food. We would explain that food was for eating or staying in the plate and would ask her if she felt ready to eat. She'd answer yes and then...
Hello, I have a 25 mo. old daughter who scratches her brother regularly when she's annoyed (ie, if he is playing with a toy she wants to play with - which is just about any toy he picks up). I'm at my wits end with what to do. I have spoken with her in a "big" voice, have removed her physically, have tried being gentle but firm. Nothing works. Her brother is 5 3/4 years old and is a gentle young boy who never scratched, hit or otherwise physically agressed anyone. So,...
Hello, My daughter turned two at the end of January. I am wanting to wean her (overall, yes, but still feeling some sadness around doing so) and am not sure how to go about it. I've started talking to her about it but in practice, I've got no backbone when it comes to refusing her the breast when she wants to nurse. Yet, on the 20th of this month, I am going away for 5 days -- I was hoping to wean her before I leave (otherwise, when I'm gone, I'll be anxious about what...
Hello, I am looking for book suggestions on how to help children learn about money. I am not exactly what I want my children to learn about money yet (money/value/appreciation/spending), but am looking for some authors/titles. I am also interested in reading about children and branding and advertising/the role of the media/how to be more critical of TV and other media. Any and all recommendations welcome. Thank-you, Isabeau Vancouver, BC Mother of Loic...
Hi, I have a 3 1/4 yrs old son and am expecting a second child in early Feb. My spouse and I started co-sleeping with our son very late - about 6 months ago. For the most part, we love having him with us. Here is where I need advice. Given - new baby coming - the fact that I feel the bed is already too small for 3 of us (I spend my night mainly perched at the edge of the bed - or so it feels) - that I currently go to bed at the same time as my son every night b/c I...
Hi, I have a 3 1/4 yrs old son and am expecting a second child in early Feb. My spouse and I started co-sleeping with our son very late - about 6 months ago. For the most part, we love having him with us. I miss the intimacy of being alone with my spouse at time. Here is where I need advice. Given - new baby coming - the fact that I feel the bed is already too small for 3 of us (I spend my night mainly perched at the edge of the bed - or so it feels) - that I...