or Connect

Posts by mommyofshmoo

I used to nap on the couch while my 3 year old and baby played, or hung out (babies under 6 moths don't really play I suppose;-) all the time. By "nap" I mean lie down, close my eyes and rest for about 20 minutes. During a 20 minute nap, you don't really "sleep", or at least, you don't fall deeply asleep, but it is refreshing. (I read all about this doing research for naps for an old job of mine.) I might not nap if it was a friends' baby, just because I'd be...
I have read that working couples that switch off childcare and have no outside care are more likely to get divorced. Your husband is not the only man (or person) in the world to feel overworked by this kind of setup. You would eventually get tired too, so why not come up with some escape valves now? So what are your options here? Is daycare the only one? What are the financial constraints? What do you need for you? Do you need some time without the...
I guess what I mean is a person might rather be in a prison (of sorts) with friends and a common purpose, than alone wih nothing to do.
I am very suspicious of the institutional nature of school. I don't like that peple have coercive power over y kid and her future- and especially the extent to which that coercive power is used to control my kids' ideas about government, corporations, history, etc. That said, I do think kids want to be part of something, and have a purpose. Since our society does not give kids an opportunity do take part in any meaningful work or in society in a meaningful way,...
Funny- I picked up dd from daycare today and she was still wearing the panties and pants I dropped her off in (dry). It seems that my communicating to them about what I wanted paid off. Gee, that worked out faster than I thought!
Quote: Originally Posted by mammal_mama So, yeah, I'd definitely choose school over prison. But that's about all I can say for it: it's better than prison.
Actually- here's my question- Do you go with a regression, or is it bad to encourage it? I do feel that when dd had accidents at daycare, they were wrong to put her in diapers. I think it encouraged her to regress. I don't blame them, I just wish there had been more communication. I always have a hard time knowing how much to baby my kids when they ask for it, and how much babying is just feeding into a weird co-dependent cycle. (I have had experiences with...
My 2 year old had been pretty solidly potty trained for a few months before starting daycare. She started going to daycare a few days a week about a month and a half ago. I knew she was having accidents at daycare, and that they tended to put her in diapers, but she was still using the potty at home so I didn't think much of it. But a couple weeks ago she stopped using the potty at home as well. During weekends I put her on the potty every hour or so, but I feel lost...
Oh yeah, and last year the school collected 5830 box tops- which earned a whopping sum of $583 for the school. GM is giving the school 10 cents fro every box top. What a load of garbage!!!!! GM gets about $5 for every purchase that leads to a box top- plus the potential of future purchases and brand identification with a company that "helps schools." I just can't believe what people put up with.
Alright- as a fund raiser for my kid's school they want kids to collect box tops. I guess the companies will donate a certain amount of cash based on how many tops are collected. This is weird- right? The list of products to collect tops of are all disposable stuff and packaged foods. Now, I'm far from the most crunchy person around, but how messed up is this? My kid now wants me to go buy products we don't normally buy so she can collect box tops. I know we can...