or Connect

Posts by moonlitemama

My sons can all cook. The older two, 11 & 14 have been cooking for years and are allowed to do any type of cooking they'd like.  My 11yr old, especially likes to bake and often makes bread, cookies, cakes all by himself.  This summer he even treated us to a couple of souffles!  The 14yr old tends to be more absent minded so he has to be reminded not to leave the kitchen if he is cooking.  My youngest, at 8, is just starting to use the stove to cook.  He's been using the...
An Mp3 player Is he outdoorsy?  My 11 yr old appreciates camping/hiking supplies. There are 2 or three of the Perplexus mazes, which are a huge hit with all of my kids. I'm a bit short on ideas for my 11 & 14 yr olds this year, too.  Good luck!
I thought more about what advice was given here yesterday and decided I needed to make the first move to see if things can change.  I've tried before, but nothing's come of it.  However, we'll see. Had a glass of wine and we had a good night ;-) and morning.  Actually talked through some issues today and he seems willing to work on things, so I'll cross my fingers.  I'm also finding more information about Aspergers, which is very helpful.  I just need to keep reminding...
Thanks, OrmEmbar.  I just requested a book on Asperger's partners that I found recommended on another thread.  That's a good thought though - I'll check in with the special needs forum to see if anyone has other suggestions.  I came across a book a couple years ago about someone with Aspergers that helped a lot, so this is definitely a good direction to go.  If I could just figure out how to get him to interact with us, it would be so much better. I don't know if he's...
Thank you, Viola.  I appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts.  It definitely helps me.   I, too, have come to realize that I just need to make my own life and do what I need to do...in many respects.  I strive for the life I envision living, which is why, although it's a lot of work, I got the chickens last year and have been working to improve my garden.  I love gardening (although I'm not very good at it) and love being outside in the summer, although my...
I haven't posted at mothering for a long time, but I'm hoping that you can help me gain some perspective and figure out what I'm doing.  I don't have anyone IRL that can help me with this and I'm just feeling so lost right now. DH and I have been together almost 20 years, married 15.  We met when we were 18, at the start of our first year of college.  We dated a couple of years, split up for a year, got back together and got married.  We have three wonderful boys, ages...
We live in a rural area, so no help there.  However, we recently upgraded our old, decrepit antennae for a new one and did a lot of research to find the right one.  We're able to get 19 channels, even though cell reception is spotty and we're about 90 miles away from most of the towers.  This site http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx gives lots of information for choosing the right type of antennae.
I haven't checked in for awhile.  Things were going along pretty well and we paid off one cc and  a good chunk of the other one.  And then this week happened...cat got sick, so $200 vet bill (and that's just the first visit), husband lost his work gloves (again), so $20 unexpected bill, well pump won't stop running (and we didn't know until the power bill showed up $80 more than last month),  bought a $25 part for it, but that didn't work, so had to call a professional...
I grew up with no/limited "running" water (no well or traditional set-ups).  We had a number of different set-ups over the years.  Originally, there was a gravity flow line set up from a spring to our kitchen, which flowed continuously from an old fashioned handpump (without the pump attachment).  Showers were taken once a week at the laundry mat or, for us kids, baths in a tub with water heated on the stove.  Of course, that got old quickly, having water constantly...
I struggled for years with this problem.  We use a bunch of different spices on a regular basis, but didn't have enough space on our spice shelf for all of them (and no extra space to add shelving or move them into a cupboard or drawer).   I really liked the look and convenience of the magnetic metal tins, but the price was not do-able.  I kept searching everywhere.  I finally stumbled upon some heart-shaped metal tins with plastic window at Michael's right after...