or Connect

Posts by Linda KS

Quote: Originally Posted by gethane Second. My mother was one of those 60's feminists. Some of the way she's raised me has been harmful and counterproductive to the way I have chosen to live my life. She didn't teach me to cook, clean, sew, do childcare, or any of the other things that I actually spend my day doing. Same here. I went to a private school and was always expected to go to university and study something solid (math, science,...
Quote: Originally Posted by benjalo I know it's hard not to have a plan - I love having a plan - but I strongly recommend you take it one year at a time. I totally agree! Some of the people I know who were the most sure they were going to homeschool signed their kids up for K, and some people I know who said horrid things about homeschooling ended up pulling their kids out of school to homeschool them. :LOL One of my friends was in a...
The Wizard of Oz is my all time favorite read aloud, though Paddington comes in a close second. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was wonderful too. (I do have to say for the record that I don't do rewards for reading.)
Thank You! That was exactly what I was looking for.
I think it would be a good idea to go to the Girl Scout office and browse the leader's manual (there is one specific to Daisys) and Daisy handbook before you decide. Daisys is really different from the other levels of girl scouts. I helped with crafts with the troop. All the girls were in K and many of them had a hard time using basic crafts supplies and following directions like "fold the piece of paper in half." I think the highlights for the year were a pizza...
Most families have more than 1 child, so a 3 year old also may have a infant sib and a 7 year old sib. My kids have only particpated in things where we were ALL welcome, or that they could do without me. I can't just ditch 1 kid to do something with the other. If you say that all sibs are welcome, then what are you going to do with kids of diverse ages?
Quote: Originally Posted by morgainesmama We do homeschool park day once a week and a field trip once or twice a month. She's in a play this summer. I'm trying to organize a little girls' book group to read "All of a Kind Family." I'll look into the link you gave. How might that look to a conservative judge? Any thoughts? The school will give you an official transcript. You would no longer be technically homeschooling -- your child...
I agree with what the PP said. We don't use text books for a lot of reasons. I think that if your kids have spent the year in a classroom and then you try to do school at home, you will all most likely end up miserable, and your kids will go back to school in the fall. There are more interesting, exciting, open ended ways to approach learning. One good place to start might be "Trust The Children: An Activity Guide for Homeschoolers...." The author's name starts with a K,...
There is "school" that you report what your child does and they make an official transcript. I think the name is Chlondara or something like that. It is used by unschoolers living in places where unschooling is tricky legally. It might work well for you. You can still unschool with them. If you have an university in your city, they might be able to help you out with the testing. It sounds like she would do fine on any test. I would definately find some outside...
We are buying a house that comes with a trampoline. My kids are thrilled. My old DD has sensory issues and it should be a great thing for her. BUT -- how do we keep this as safe as possible? What should the rules be? Is there anything we should do/check on the trampoline since it isn't new? thanks!