or Connect

Posts by tryinghardmomma

I have a friend whose child had behavior like this-  she was diagnosed with OCD, they found an appropriate medication and she went to a preschool (and now Kgarten) with a great special ed teacher and an IEP in place.  It wasn't her dream for her family- they homeschool their older girls- but it was the right steps for THIS child and everyone is happier.
It's not bribes.     My mother always told me-  We can all be bought, we're just haggling over the price.   She has a price, too.  And since she's 2, I can promise you it's a really really cheap price.   My firstborn was great at letting me talk on the phone.  It was his sucker time.  $4 bag of dum dums, no more problem.  Look, talking on the phone is a treat for me, so why not give her a treat too?  When the act of eating the dum dum is not that interesting,...
Some of my experiences:  take what works for you and leave the rest :)    When I worked in a daycare center in the years B.K. most of the children lay down for naps. But throughout the years I discovered, there was Always One Child Who Did Not Nap.  This child still needed to sit in the dark room playing with a very quiet toy on the cot.  (Not free play, but only Very Quiet Play) The point of the midday nap is to recharge batteries.   Sometimes I have made a...
BTW the carbo addiction and choking and fighting and stealing to get carbs is exactly where we were too.. What is that book... The Sugar something.... it is totally candidiasis, and it can affect their brain, mood swings... It's hard to put my kid on a total diet because he won't cooperate, but I just try as much as I can. I homeschool, so there is only MY kids he can abuse and I am here so I can be watching him and prevent it. I keep fruit plentiful and he has free...
When they ask about vax, they usually say "Is he up to date" and I answer "He has everything he needs." Which he does, from my POV. But I wouldn't call the cops. I've known people who do it and they are always sorry, because yes 9-in-10 the DSS will get involved and it will not be fun. My oldest does the rage things. I have found that diet helps, a pretty straightforward and strictly held routine/schedule, and Rescue Remedy administered at the start of a rage. I...
Wait til you have your fifth baby and your HUSBAND lets the baby lick Doritoes at 5 WEEKS OLD. My husband says if I get to BREASTFEED the baby, HE gets to feed it ice cream. At 2 mos. I started to get mad and tell him no, then I thought... it's his baby too, and ya know, it makes him happy. And by golly, he's holding the baby for an hour so I can have some Mommy Time. As far as the cousin. It never happened. It doesn't count. You still have the title of...
Well... eventually they do get old enough that you wish you could afford piano, violin, dance, theater arts, gymnastics.... I have six kids, and they each have a passion to learn something but we can't afford it for any of them. It's frustrating. Although, if you look hard enough you eventually find free things... we're changing churches to one that has a vibrant Arts ministry, so our dd can do dance, our son can do theatrics... now if they just had gymnastics for my 8yo
I'd love a park 6-7 blocks from me. The walk over there would do my tushy good. LOL As it is, I can use the playground in a church yard 3 blocks away, or drive a few miles over to the next nearest park but it's dirty. So I walk to the near one, and still have a tushy. I was going to vote for house A though.
You know what my Dh said? They only touch it once.... Seriously, he also pointed out that the parts of the stove that stick out and are tempting tend to be less hot-- the handles, for instance-- yet hot enough that the child will notice and pull back and have some fear of it. Healthy fear. of course. Our stove was set up off the floor, on about a 6" rise, but also the riser was large enough that the stove was about 18" back from the front of the riser. I guess we...
What about Elimination Communication? My last 3 babies have pooped exclusively in the potty since 3-5 mos of age. The first few months, it's just breastmilk poop. I wouldn't have any problem at all putting breastmilk poop on my garden. (Now, I don't do vaccinations so if she vaccinates it's a different story-- esp. the live vaccines that can be in the poop.)