or Connect

Posts by sarahwebb

Hmmm, I don't know if it's too late to talk to him make suggestions, but we just bought a bark control collar for our dog, and it has changed our lives. She's a sweetheart but a nuisance barker. She didn't have to wear the collar very long before she got the idea, now she's often quiet without it. It's the best $100 I ever spent. Sarah
Quote: Originally Posted by timneh_mom ETA... she told me I was "lucky" that I could get nursing to "work" for me. I told her there was no other option, it was going to work no matter what I had to do. I used to feel that way until I had my second son. I did everything I could and used every resource available to get him to nurse. Ultimately, I was able to nurse him, but during my struggles I learned a lot about humility and understanding. I...
We live in a 1926 house with lead paint everywhere. Some of our paint and plaster is peeling. DS 1's lead levels were never a problem, so I didn't worry so much. DS 2's a mouther and his lead levels are higher than DS 1's but still not a problem. I'll probably have DS 2 tested again soon to see how he's doing. Painted windows aren't especially a problem if you don't open them--many older houses have windows that are painted shut. It's the wear and tear on the paint when...
With both LCs and LLL leaders mileage varies. I found the independent LCs I consulted to be the most helpful. The hospital LCs were ready to give up on me too soon and the local LLL leader would have been no help at all. My experience with LLL leaders is that they might be excellent help in your friend's situation. It sounds like she needs help getting a comfortable latch and dropping the supplements. My experience is that they are less helpful if you have low supply...
I also hope that the presence of those with nursing problems here at MDC will help people understand that there are more nursing pairs with real, insurmountable nursing problems than you would realize from reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding or Mothering Magazine I lost my supply and had to take domperidone the entire year that I pumped because I believed that all I had to do was nurse my baby more. I didn't understand that I had to pump to preserve my supply...
Maybe I misunderstood, but I don't think the OP was looking for encouragement or support for her situation, she was venting about the lack of tolerance for formula feeding moms and bottle feeding moms both in Mothering Magazine and here at MDC. I agree. I had trouble nursing my second baby and participated in some threads here requesting a forum for women who can't exclusively breastfeed and must use some or all formula. I was so wounded by some of the replies that I...
I called the number on the jury summons and explained that I would be delighted to serve but I was a nursing mother. I was excused without any problems. Sarah
My second baby was an inefficient nurser, and I pumped and bottlefed him for a year. I frequently reoffered milk. As long as it didn't smell bad and he would drink it, I figure it was fine. I never kept used milk over night. Also, I found that I got better mileage out of milk that had never been refrigerated. After a while I quit refrigerating the day's supply of milk and it would be at room temp from 4 to 16 hours before I fed it. I've read that ebm is good at room...
Yup, me too. "Are you sure you aren't having twins?" "You're about to pop." "That baby is going to come early." Finally I unloaded on a lady in Target... What are they trying to accomplish with those comments? Sarah
I don't have any data to back me up, but it doesn't seem like it's really a big deal that your child isn't eating much solids this young. As long as your baby is meeting milestones and gaining well, I wouldn't worry about it. You could ask your pediatrician for more information about why she is concerned. Ask if your baby has any other symptoms besides lack of interest in solids that are flags for early intervention. I'd probably look for a new pediatrician, and I wouldn't...