or Connect

Posts by mmace

You're all so sweet to remember me!  The past year has been busy for sure - got married May 2011 (got a 19 year old bonus son too!), bought a house and moved in last September, and my oldest daughter graduated from high school in June and just started college.  Thanks for the warm welcome!
Probably no one remembers me but I used to spend a lot of time at MDC - especially here at Single Parenting.  My kids were 9, 5 and 4 months when their dad left and I got A LOT of support here!  It's nine years later and things are great so I just wanted to say hi and send some love to all of the single parents.  It's hard for sure, but so worth it!  ♥
Not sure who all may be around that might remember me - for some reason a year or so ago any time I came here my entire computer would go whacky and shut down, so I've visited only once or twice, but for some reason over the last couple of days Mothering.com seems to like me again! Here's a quick background on my story: My kids were 9, 5, and 4 months when my ex walked out in August 2003. I found out later that he had been cheating for at least a year. I had no clue and...
Anyone looking into the whole divorce/step-parenting thing and college costs yet? In a nutshell: My earned income is low, I earned just under $18,000 last year. Ex husband's income is about $80,000. His wife (I'm guessing) is at least $50,000. My sweetie's is around $65,000. Sweetie and I are considering marrying. He has one son, entering his freshman year of college next month. My kids are 16, 12, and 7. How does the financial aid process work? Do...
My X walked out in August of 2003 and I went on my first date in May of 2007, so it was almost four years. I definitely am glad I waited - I wanted to be ready, and I wanted to wait for it to be someone that mattered, not just to date just to date, you know? And he's turned out to be the love of my life!
A while back a similar discussion happened, and I've thought about my response many times since then. I know I could never put it into words like I did back then, so I'm going to do some copying and pasting, if you don't mind. This response is pieced together from three seperate posts on that discussion (I'm pretty wordy, sometimes!): I remember feeling the same exact way! I met my ex when I was 18, 120 pounds at the most, perky B-cups, slim hips and waist, just at my...
Quote: Here they will usually say that transportation is half/half on the parents - for instance take turns in getting/bringing or sharing costs. My problem with this (and not picking on you, Seie, just the concept) is that with their dad moving that far away it has also created the burden on me that I am the sole transportation for all three children all the time. I am lucky enough to have a neighbor to carpool with, but my oldest plays tennis and...
Let me just tell you that it does not get any easier as they get older. My kids are almost 16, 11, and 6. My oldest is very involved in activities - right now she is doing marching band and tennis. The hardest part is that she gets done with football games and band competitions late at night - 11:30 or midnight pickups are the norm during this time of the year. There's nothing like getting a "Mom, I need picked up!" phone call when the other two are sound asleep. BUT...
Holland, I am *thrilled* for you!!!
I work a couple of part-time jobs. #1 - I clean our church. Takes me five or so hours a week, but I can spread that out and do it whenever I want, as long as it's clean Sunday morning. #2 - I work for our township. I do taxes, so in March, April and May I am in the office two mornings a week (and much more during the busy times, but I only have those set hours) and I can work whenever needed, which is great because I can work around my kids. I also have a rental...