or Connect

Posts by Profmom

Just giving a 'bump' to this old thread to see if anyone else is interested in this issue at the moment. My 18yo son is about to embark on life on his own in Germany (a place we lived for years, and he speaks fluent German) to study violin. He'll be on his own much of the time -- and very far from us. He will be living in our apartment there, and spending two days a week in Amsterdam (getting there on the train) with his violin teacher. Amsterdam 'alone' just seems to...
Thanks everyone! Darius -- Andrew says thanks for the ideas! We did end up pulling it all out into the big hallway, sorted into piles. Then we rolled up the rug (he has decided to get rid of it so it is going to my office!). We moved the furniture to a better configuration and now he is setting up the stereo in the new Expedit/Ikea thing. All floors, walls, baseboards are vacuumed and washed! Now on to sort the papers. Not sure where all of the violins and guitars are...
Wow, thanks everyone for these great ideas. We are set to begin in the morning. I think he likes the idea of cycles through the mess -- so trash first, then clothes, the the dozens of books. I would LOVE to have him pull it all out into the hall (as suggested by last posts) but I worry that he will get sidetracked and I will have to live with all of that mess in my tidy living space! He ends up reading old magazines from under the bed while I get more and more annoyed and...
Hi all -- I lurk in awe of your efforts at decluttering and simplifying here! My son has asked for some help in totally cleaning out and reorganizing his disaster (and I mean DISASTER) of a room. He is ready to live in a nice space. Can anyone offer any tips or inspiration? How might he start? Right now he has dirty wash and trash, mixed together with books, electronic equipment, and various musical instruments on the floor. He saves everything from concert programs to...
But don't we really like it when people notice? Really? My kids are older now, but I never minded such comments. I mean, aren't you kind of excited that your child is so young and doing x? Why divert? Why not just answer the question directly? Is there something wrong with reading early?? It isn't like you are walking up to people and saying 'hey look at this'? As the pp noted, diversion just prolongs the interaction. The phase won't last long anyway -- my kids are still...
I totally understand your situation. My ds is now 17 and is STILL intense. He is away on a class trip now until Saturday pm and the apartment is so...calm. I miss him, of course, but I needed a break from the intensity. He is obsessed with/intense about music -- and he insisted the night before he left on playing (loud and) super intense Paganini caprices from his laptop AT THE DINNER TABLE -- with lot's of enthusiastic commentary. Which annoyed dh, which caused even more...
I so totally feel your pain. There is always a new drama around here and I am just exhausted by it...
Ok, so I rarely post things here, but that one really brought tears to my eyes. How totally sweet.
DS (16) is going through one of those amazing learning spurts -- just came in and played the Smetana piece he is working on for us. We were speechless! It is so great to see his new focus on practicing the violin paying off. Now if we could just get him to focus on studying for his IB exams (in progress this week and next). DD (13) is ignoring all of the ruckus in the living room and studying for her Biology-Chemistry test tomorrow. Nobody told me how interesting...
OK, so Mindset was a life changing read for my son and for me. It sparked some amazing and productive conversations about his talent and how terrified he has been to try. And this sparked a really helpful conversation with his violin teacher about the nature of talent. And the fact that NOBODY does this effortlessly -- nobody. So thanks for the suggestion!