or Connect

Posts by Soxfan Mom

Quote: Hi, religious discussion is not hosted in TCAC so please let's avoid reference. Thanks With all due respect, I don't understand why it isn't addressed on this board, as this subject is The Elephant In The Room in my part of the country.
Quote: Originally Posted by MaryJaneLouise Of course that oracle of medicine, Hanna Rosin, has this to say on the study: http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/xxf...east-feed.aspx ITA. I'd like to invite Hanna to visit the nursing home and see my mother-in-law, who is battling all sorts of trouble that can be traced to diabetes. And no, she didn't breastfeed any of her children. Any ammunition one can use to fight against this pervasive...
I'm so glad someone linked to this article. I have simmered about it since the issue came in the door. I work as an editor. I can tell you I would have bounced this article right back to the author because it strikes me as a 5,000-word whine. In a supposedly scholarly publication, she fails to bring up two practical reasons to breastfeed: 1) The expense. In this economy, how can the cost of formula be overlooked vs. what is free? How much would our government save if...
Quote: Originally Posted by Da WIC Lady This was a great article pointing out where we need improvement, but gave no avenues to push for change. A great organization that is working on the issues surrounding modern motherhood and making ours a family (and breastfeeding) friendly counrty is momsrising.org. I've never been a big fan of NOW, and while it's great that they are pushing for pump stations in workplaces, as usual, they forget about those of us...
I get The New Yorker but haven't received this issue yet. I'm old school about my New Yorker and refuse to read it online. However, I can get the gist from this thread on Jezebel. Most of the responses were more positive than I would have imagined for what is basically a "guilty pleasure" site (at least for me). http://jezebel.com/5129536/milky-way...yline=true&s=x
Quote: Originally Posted by doriansmummy Mama I am so glad it was nothing. And I am about your son going back for the "goods" that same day.: Thank you ... and isn't little guy's timing hilarious? BellaClaudia and Mom2Tatum, those are very interesting points you raise. I will do more research before I get another dose of radiation in six months. I admit to being pretty ignorant of the dangers. I'm glad it took this long for me to get one...
Went today, and right you are. I have very dense tissue, particularly on the left side. Not uncommon for those of us who have nursed for a long time, I understand. I need to go back in six months just so they can make sure all is the same, but they didn't seem the least bit worried. The ironic thing is, a month after I thought he was done, Little Guy reached down my shirt again today for the goods.
Hello everyone. My stress level is at 100 percent, so I hope someone can help ease my nerves. In a nutshell, up until this October, I had been nursing since my first child was born in March 2000. My two girls were extended nursers, obviously, and their brother (born in '04) just weaned for good. I don't know how much he has been "getting" for the six months prior to that, but he was still climbing up in my lap for the goods. So, I had my very first mammogram, a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mavournin Our town is reassessing for property taxes (gotta pay for the new multi-million dollar high school somehow... ) and they came in last June. I didn't have a problem with it. We have done a lot of work on the house, but our taxes only went up a little. Basically they were checking for work done without a permit (easy to see if you have a finished basement and no record of it with the town) and if things were "old",...
This doesn't bother me at all. For those of us who pumped so that the babies could be fed while we were at work, the only way to get the breast milk into the baby's mouth was via a bottle. That's what I associate them with, the same association my kids will have. I tell them that baby bottles were how "Daddy would give you your me-me." If they were collecting money in a formula can, that would be another story.