or Connect

Posts by barbara

Try Rosetta Stone. You can get this program at most large Libraries, we joined our State Library so that we could have access to Rosetta Stone programs online. It teaches from a real life learning perspective rather than a classroom/academic style.
Quote: Originally Posted by rupestur My question is: What do you think about the concept of radically unschooling ourselves? Are these rules and being strict and tough love just as counterproductive on ourselves as they are with our children? Or are we supposed to just tough it out and act our age? Heather of course they are as counterproductive on ourselves as they are on our children! I'm 51 and I can't for the life of me act my...
One of my son's did the community college route, another went to a private college, and my daughters took more untraditional routes to higher education. You can prepare for college sat tests with the same information that highschool kids have, as it is available at the public libraries. If your child is motivated to go to a college that requires the sat or act then just talk to your local librarian, find a SAT prep book that you like, and start studying. You can...
unschooling is living and learning without school. the concept of teaching a set, predetermined curricula, is a schooling mindset which may or may not work for educating the masses, however, in the home we have the unique opportunity to allow our children to follow their interests without encumbering them with rote learning that is geared toward classroom teaching. By releasing ourselves, and our children, from the traditional classroom style of learning, we can...
it isn't easy. homebirth is so fullfilling for us as doulas because we see how empowered mamas are when they birht at home, but in hoppital we are so needed, and those mamas really need our support to birth as naturally as they can in hospital. the homebirths are our icing on the cake, so to speak. we need to attend them to keep grounded in what birth can and should be, but we are also needed to support the mamas who birth in hospital, because they have so little...
I hope you have found some like minded folks here. For the most part I have found unschoolers to be really tolerant of various interpertations on how to walk out the unschooling life. Every household has different rhythms and unique personalities that come into play. We can certainly be respectful of our own need for quiet time in the evening, or other needs, without feeling that we are compromising our children's autonomy or ability to self regulate. Different...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tigeresse Yes, ita. I think even bigger kids need some full out guidance that falls outside of the RU definition of a "parental need for control". I think it is the savvy parent that can discern when a child may be asking for boundaries or guidance without really asking. It may be easier for some kids to let a parent lead in making a decision (which could be described as nudging or even coercion, I suppose) thereby relieving...
The kids I still have at home are 11, 14, and 17
Quote: Originally Posted by mama in the forest Barbara - that's wonderful! My oldest daughter is almost 20 and she just recently moved out into her own apartment. I'm still getting over that! : It's only been about three weeks so I am still transitioning into it. I'm so happy for her but I miss her terribly. I feel lucky though, and so blessed to have so many children in all these beautiful stages of life. me too. Nobody told me...
my kids all were motivated to learn to write their name in cursive when they had to sign checks they recieved for birthdays, etc. I would just write out their name in cursive and they would practice it. In the teen years they seem to want to have nice handwriting which seems to motivate them to experiment with cursive.