or Connect

Posts by mamagoose

Hello all, I've just been reviewing this thread because I'm in the middle of making a decision on where to send 5yr old DS -- and one of my option is The Clearwater School here near Seattle. I agree with many of the benefits of democratic/free schools cited by all of you here, and I share many of the same concerns cited by many of you. One concern I have is that at least at Clearwater, there appears to be almost NO racial/cultural/ethnic diversity. Most (if not all?) the...
Thanks everyone. I will explore in more depth the possibility of food allergy -- I do know that his dad and girlfriend do not eat any dairy, so perhaps DS is drinking soy milk there and that could be the cause. I, too, have considered the stress possibility -- ds is pretty little, and while he loves his dad and has always spent time/been cared for in part by him, the regular overnights are new and it is often hard for DS to leave me even though he loves Daddy. If...
3 yo DS spends every Sunday day and overnight with his dad. This has been our schedule since this past August. For the past two months, DS has thrown up at daycare almost every Monday morning immediately following his overnight visit to Dad. In addition, he also has small, red, itchy bumps that look like insect bites when he comes home on Mondays. They last a few days, then fade, then he comes home with new ones the next Monday. His Dad and I are good friends, and...
Hi Bu's Mama, I did a lit search on this very issue back in grad school, and the studies I was able to find at that time (this was in '02) mostly all concluded that the level of conflict to which the child was exposed was more of an indicator of well-being than the actual custody arrangement/time with each child. Children exposed to a lot of conflict between the parents didn't fare as well as kids not exposed to conflict, regardless of whether they saw the noncustodial...
hugs, mama. It will be ok. My husband of 11 years all but moved out when our ds was 2 months old, and then did physically move out when ds was 6 mos old. I was devastated, had PPD, was sleep-deprived, and grieving. What kept me going was loving my son, and knowing that he needed me to be strong and keep it together. I remember one evening when I was home alone (again) with the baby, sobbing, feeling awful, and I looked at ds while I was swaddling him to put him to sleep...
thanks so much to all of you for the helpful suggestions. Having him on a mattress in my room is not quite feasible simply because of space (I have my two kids in the master bedroom -- ds's 1/2 sister spends alternate weekends with me) and I'm crammed into the small bedroom. Plus, my sense of him is that he likes the idea of his own bed and room, and he has not ever even mentioned moving back into my room or bed. I think all of the suggestions to gently break the...
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so mods please move if it's better somewhere else. DS turned 3 on May 3. Until then, I co-slept with him. His Dad and I are divorced and DS spent almost every night with me from birth on (except for about 1night/every 3 weeks with Dad for the past 6 months). I decided for sleep and health (back problems) reasons to move ds into his own/bed and room when he turned 3, and several months before his 3rd birthday I...
I met my current boyfriend on OkCupid, and he's wonderful. Before he and I started communicating, I met a couple of other guys through OkCupid and met them in person for coffee. Both were very nice and sweet, just not "the one." What I like about OkC is that it's free, the questions/tests are interesting and funny, and you can block IMs, browse anonymously, and it doesn't feel meat-markety. That's my opinion, though. To be clear, with all the guys I met in person,...
Welcome, mama. I, too, found myself unexpectedly a single mom with a 6 month old, after 11 years with stbx. DS is 3 now, and while it's been hard, I've done it, and DS and I are both thriving. You CAN do it, I promise. You'll find lots of support here --
couldn't read and not reply -- hang in there, mama! Just keep pushing his BS right back at him and telling him you won't talk about stuff when you're exhausted. You sound strong, wise, and like you're able to maintain a sense of humor despite the stress -- hope your day off goes the way you envisioned/hoped.