or Connect

Posts by Maisigh

I never said it was easy. I've been hit, hair pulled, threatened, stuff thrown at me etc. by my daughter and the people I supported. This doesn't immediately take away any threat or unwanted behavior. Believe me, I've had my fair share of violence and injury working in the group homes alone. I have experience in this with people who are what people consider "high behavior". It does work for the majority. It is very difficult (as the care giver). It is also worth it.I would...
For those ladies who haven't tried ignoring tantrums and all the rest, it really does work. I've used it with adults with cognitive disabilities most, but my own 21 month very spirited daughter who is entering this tantrum phase with a vengeance already responds well to it. For me, learning the triggers are key and then tantrums can be avoided altogether. Ignoring unwanted behavior it's a real tactic, it works and many professionals use it. One term for it is extinction....
I do this too. If DD is getting rough because she's excited, then we tell her to be gentle or nice instead of focusing on the hit or rough touch. I'll often demonstrate a gentle touch right after with her so she understands more. I will always praise her for gentle touch, and she is slowly getting it. I always say thank you to her when she does something I like or want. Paying far more attention to the behaviour you want will get you more behaviour that you want. 
You're so on the right track as you learn about your triggers. That's one of the most helpful things when dealing with anyone's behaviour. There can be any multitude of reasons, like for you, being worn out and tired and dealing with a cranky two year old or for him, maybe he's teething, getting sick or going through a developmental stage that he's having a hard time dealing with. Understanding WHY things happen is so important because then you can find a real solution,...
I had very consistent spotting up until about 20 weeks with my current pregnancy (#2 and currently at 38+weeks pregnant). Almost every day I would find something on the pantyliner and every prenatal visit I told the midwife. With the amount of spotting (I only used one pantyliner per day) and that there was no cramping or discomfort really said to me and the midwife that it was not a big deal. Every midwife visit has been perfect. I have a perfectly healthy baby. My...
As a pregnant mom going for an HBAC with my second child, I do not tell a lot of people what I think or what I am going to do because of my beliefs/intuition and the perceived "dangers" involved. I just let the midwives and OB have their thing to say and then I decide what I will do. I feel like this time I am heavily relying on intuition, whereas, with my first, she ended up as an "emergency" c-section. Actually, after speaking with my midwives this time, I feel like...
Good stuff. Just don't forget to talk it out. 
Personally, I'm in favour of a different kind of system all together. I hear so often that this system is broken, that system is broken. Well, f***, why do we keep doing it then? We invest so much time and energy into this one and we don't even like it! Change it. There's been this marvelous idea popping up here and there and I seriously hope it will catch on like a wildfire gone even wilder! It's called sharing. We do it all the time anyway--sharing movies, music and...
I think it's important to remember that positive reinforcement is just as important as discipline. Giving a reward for the behaviour you want is just as important as time outs for behaviour you don't want. Rewards are anything the child values, not just food (which is an easy one to think of). So for your bedtime issues mom82009, find an immediate reward that your little fireball will love and tell him, "if you do this (insert desired behaviour) then we can do this/you...
This. My daughter is 18 months now and still hates being carried/worn while I'm sitting and she LOVES being "up". She does like to be in my lap for eating because then she can share...if she feels like it. Mostly it's to make a mess. :)   I personally desperately want a mei tai so I can carry her on my back (easily and safely), which she thinks is a blast when I've been able to attempt it with the moby wrap and evenflo carrier.