or Connect

Posts by Jennisee

Thanks for the ideas! I'm glad you mentioned zucchini, lmonter, because I think a "What to do with all that zucchini" class might go over well. mugglemom, I think giardiniera is a good idea, too. Quote: Originally Posted by lmonter Does the stuff in your area ripen about the same time as me in cool zone 5? And when are the classes supposed to be (like which month(s)?) Looking at your list, I'd say we're about a month ahead of you in terms...
I've been asked to teach some non-credit canning classes at a community college, and they're talking about making it a series of classes spaced every 3-4 weeks over the summer. The theme is "Garden Canning," and they want me to use local produce, so that's why I'm asking here. Each class will probably be 2 hours long, but I might be able to push for 3 hours. They also want me to keep the recipes pretty easy and simple. As much as I'd like to pressure can, I think I...
We're getting about $1000 back, and it will be going into our emergency savings fund.
Quote: Originally Posted by Arduinna If you don't know what the problems were or are confused maybe rereading the stickies in News and Politics will help. They pretty clearly outlined the issues that have been going on over there for awhile. I think most people know what the problem threads were, but most people don't understand the behind-the-scenes workings well enough (forum software, logistics of being a moderator, etc.) to know why...
Quote: Originally Posted by abimommy Part of the problem was the gruesome threads. Politics isn't currently the problem. We had planned on merging the two forums since the election is over. However with N&CE not going well we couldn't really do that. We do not want two seperate forums, we need to sit down and work on what needs to be done whether that is permanent closure or something new. Thanks for answering. I think I follow. ...
Ok, here's my question. The following facts have been established, yes? 1. N&CE was not closed b/c of Politics. Politics was closed b/c of N&CE. The Politics forum was not the problem. 2. The problem in the N&CE forum was the gruesome, TMI, "baby in microwave"-type threads. 3. The moderators didn't want Politics and N&CE closed. In this case, why can't we just place a moratorium on the gruesome threads? Why would the problem not be fixed by requiring new...
Quote: Originally Posted by artgoddess This makes a bit of sense, but it also makes for a bunch of confusion as well. I see Mothering Magazine as reaching beyond just the baby years, and speaking to the whole woman that makes a mother. Right now with no debate allowed it seems like all we are permitted to discuss here is cooking, sewing, diapering, our kids education, birth and breastfeeding. Anything that could lead to passionate discussion, like...
I'm going to just : everything mamajama posted. I understand what a complicated situation this is, but I really hope something can be worked out. Quote: Originally Posted by nonconformnmom I can understand and empathize with that view. Fortunately, viewing such a forum would, of course, be completely optional. I think if there are some who are willing to give it a try, I am not sure what the harm would be. Again, if it were restricted only to...
Quote: Originally Posted by yoyo65 without News & Current Events, Politics and with TOA being heavily moderated to even get a post on, MotheringDotCommune is really boring now, IMO. : I get the need for a hiatus and re-evaluation, but the thought of N&CE and Politics being gone permanently makes me really sad. I'm another person whose worldview and politics were dramatically changed by the education I've received here at MDC.
If you do call around locally, try a credit union instead of a bank. In my personal experience, they have lower rates, less fees, and better customer service. We are in the process of refinancing and are scheduled to close in a little over a week. Right now, we're locked in for a 15-year mortgage at 4.675% with no points, but if it drops any lower before the closing, we get the lower rate. Also, the credit union is currently offering a $500-off-closing-costs special,...