or Connect

Posts by Jennisee

In years past, when we sent to all of our family, neighbors, and friends, we probably sent out 40ish cards. I love the funny Hallmark shoebox cards, but those can get pricey, and I got tired of spending $30 on cards, so we started buying our cards at The Dollar Tree, only spending $3. Last year, I was pregnant and pretty sick, so we only sent to out-of-town people we rarely see, with handwritten updates inside. I think we sent maybe 6, and they were cards we had...
Quote: Originally Posted by avendesora Lots of foods are luxuries, and nice to enjoy if you have the budget for it. Feta instead of cheddar, for example. Chocolate. Coffee. Steak instead of ground beef. However, I do lump feta, chocolate, coffee, steak and wine in with my grocery budget. Although all are infrequent, except for the coffee Aven : Yes, it is technically a luxury, but so are a lot of other food items we buy. We don't...
Not quite what you're looking for, but you might find allrecipes.com helpful. They have a ingredient search function, so you could put in "rice, spinach, eggs" and it will bring back recipes with those ingredients. It doesn't do the meal planning for you, but if you're trying to save money by planning your own meals around what is already in your fridge/pantry, it's very helpful.
I voted 6-10", but usually schools and businesses only close on the day that it actually snows. Everything opens back up the next day because our road crews are really good at what they do. We can also be shut down for a lot of ice, and for high winds that create white-outs and constant drifting. Once in a rare while, the schools will shut down for dangerously cold temperatures (below 0F), but businesses stay open.
I live in central Illinois, but my mom is in Shorewood. I think it's in Will County, but right near the border with Grundy. Welcome to MDC!
Here is a map of average snowfall in Illinois. I haven't been able to find ones for Missouri and Kentucky, though.
Quote: Originally Posted by jessitron Kentucky winters? Maybe there's another part of Kentucky that gets more snow than where I've been. We get a couple good snowstorms per year, with several inches. It sticks around for a week maybe. There are also ice storms, with power outages. We're very close to Illinois so surely we get IL winters? but maybe you mean Chicago. Yeah, this confused me as well. Northern Illinois gets quite a bit of...
Here, the interest rates have dropped, on average, a quarter-point a week for the past 3 or 4 weeks. I've been reading that the feds have pumped enough liquidity in the markets to create more available credit, but few people are taking advantage of it. We're getting ready to refinance, but we keep putting it off every time the rate drops again. (We've started the paperwork with the credit union but haven't actually signed yet.) Our current mortgage is 6% and our...
63 or 64 during the day. On really cold, windy days where the floor feels colder, we will turn it up to 65. 61 or 62 at night. We could probably go colder, but I often sleep topless since my baby nurses all night, and I end up getting chilly.
My DH does our budget and money tracking in an elaborate Excel spreadsheet, and he's a bit, um, anal about it. If we're only buying a handful of items, then we'll pay for them all at once. Then, when DH enters the purchase into the spreadsheet, he will look at each item, figure out what category it goes into, and then enter the amounts into their appropriate spreadsheet categories. If we're making a large purchase where that would be a PITA, then we divide the...