or Connect

Posts by Loogiejane

This is my first pregnancy so I'm curious how I should know what day to make my last day at work, leading up to my labor. I just work part-time, 2 afternoon/evenings a week, teaching religious school. I take the subway there. It's just a few stops away so the commute isn't terrible. It's not really *so* much $$ per week but it would be nice to make it for as long as I could with all the upcoming homebirth costs we're going to have.    How many days/weeks before you...
My MW's global fee is $12,000. She is a CNM with 30 yrs experience combo working in hospital l+d as a nurse, then as a MW in the hospital and now I believe has been a homebirth MW for 15ish yrs. She is one of the top homebirth MW's in NYC and I booked her when I was 7 or 8 weeks for fear of her getting all booked for my EDD. She's a busy woman. She works 5 months, takes off a full month, works 5 months, takes off a full month. Some people like her style, some don't. I...
I know, it definitely seems crazy. I truly believe it's a reflection of where I live though. Turns out this other doula I'm talking to, her fee is actually $2000 but she charges $1200 for clients of my MW because she's part of her practice. They must have some kind of agreement or payment situation, I dunno.    But regarding where I live, it's the same with everything. NYC is just really expensive. We plan to stay in our railroad 1 bdrm apartment with our baby. We live in...
Last week my MW also said something about the heart rate and how some say it's a sign of a girl but then she brushed it off with "but that stuff's not always true".    I am convinced we have a boy, I don't know why. I just see us having a boy with this pregnancy. Maybe because DH's sis has two girls and I feel like his family is due for a boy. Even though I would love a girl. And especially love what*ever* I have. But we went for our 20 wk anatomy scan today. We told...
  Sometimes when I think of my pregnancy like "cmon, is this whole situation real here? this is so alien!" all I can think of is the final scene from Spaceballs, when the Alien comes out of the guy's stomach and then sings Hello My Baby lol. 
Um, yeah...my MW charges $12k. I am not paying her that full amount, as insurance she has (or something) covers a chunk of it and then we have insurance, but we'll still have an out of pocket balance on *top* of the doula fee. Combined we'll prob wind up paying around $3k. Can you say "dipping into savings"?
If it helps to make you feel any better/give you perspective/boost your confidence, etc etc, I look at you and consider you, even with your baby belly, to still be thin (but with a baby belly). This is how I see you when I compare to myself. You look great. Tell yourself that. It's always hard to not appreciate how we look in the moment, ya know?
Yowzers, ok, so I just went online to scope out a few other doulas. And I found one that I thought seemed great on paper, I liked her doula photos :P and whatnot and her fee is $2000! 
 I ttly ttly hear and agree with you! Ya know honestly, I think it's not as much being uncomfortable with her at my visits as it not being 100% on what the motives are....is she there just because she enjoys is like my MW says? Is it because she needs prenatal visit hours for her MWcert? My MW has given me a few different contacts so I'm going to meet different women and see how I feel. I'm just going to meet different people, see how I jibe with them and what their...
  I balled my eyes out today when DH decided to take his brunch and coffee into the living room to watch football instead of choosing to sit and eat with me in the kitchen. He was going out to play in his basketball league afterwards too and we hadn't spent the morning together because we slept in so I asked, "is your plan to watch football til you need to leave for basketball?" this (what he thinks are obnoxious questions) bothered him, he came back to sit with me and...