or Connect

Posts by GrannyH

Check out recycling outlets and charity shops rather than buy new. My toddler, 2, loves her scooter which cost $5 and is as new and has an old tent, also $5. A friend found Little Tikes climbing equipment for $10.  Start with a bat and ball and then see what you can find. Meanwhile check out below for some ideas that need not cost any money at all.   .  set up a digging spot and hide shells and interesting pebbles for her to find . the digging spot can double as a muddy...
There are two flights of stairs to my apartment so I walk behind my granddaughter just in case. She does make getting up and down them very difficult because from ten months she decided to think up different ways of making the journey interesting! The first variation was sliding her feet to the edge and then letting them drop down. It took me awhile to get used to this as she had just learnt to walk!. Since then she has been a one girl ministry of silly walks. I loved the...
I am no expert but giardia occurs often in Australia and is related to contaminated drinking water. I had not heard of the other one but I looked it up. I think you should have your water supply checked and maybe even the earth from your yard. Do you live in a farming area? I do feel that you should be getting better advice and help  from your doctor and from whoever supplies your water. You should buy or boil your water until you solve the problem. Also, ensure your child...
She sounds just great! The fact that she is interested in so many things is fantastic.  I would guess she is gifted but at this age it doesn't make any difference whether she is or not. She has so much to learn about the world before she needs to start learning formally and you are doing a great job. Remember she is a three year old first and gifted second. Do you have interesting places to explore such as museums, art galleries, parks, rivers, beaches, hills mountains,...
Thank you for your responses, FarmerMomma and  Researchparent,  I was interested to hear your experiences of  Montessori, Researchparent, as my granddaughter will be attending a Montessori parent and child session once a week soon until she is accepted into  a community kindy at three years of age. I am glad your son is doing well at school and is managing to keep his imagination alive too.  I am impressed as I could not name more than twenty kinds of cars! Your little...
My granddaughter, 26 months, is a delight. Her EG mother was mostly easy to raise and is doing really well as an adult, working, studying (she never stopped) and enjoying motherhood, so I am pretty much sitting back and enjoying the ride as a grandmother. I do look at this website to see what kind of schooling for gifted children is available in other countries (here there is very little, sigh) and I enjoy reading about all your amazing children. DGD is very social but...
I shall play the devil's advocate here and say that children often learn to behave more easily when part of a group. They like to join in and do things together. They want to please the teacher.  They learn from each other. A parent is different and they do know all the buttons to press and can anticipate your reaction!  I have seen boisterous and really challenging children settle down quickly at preschool and kindergarten. It is amazing how different they can be at home...
I would advise against giving up the nap time. It is important for their brain development. Also it gives you some time to rest up or get things down. My 26 month granddaughter still has a 2 hr nap each day and sleeps about 9-10  hours at night. On the few occasions she  missed her nap she was hyperactive and cranky. She has had a new brother for one week now and , so far, loves him to bits.   You may have to wait until your toddler is more settled with the new baby...
Yes! I avoid anything too girly, including clothing that features princesses and fairies. My granddaughter, aged two, loves to wear her boy cousin's hand me downs and t. shirts that feature dinosaurs which are available only in the boys' section. However, she likes wearing pink too and has a pink tutu like Angelina Ballerina. She loves climbing so she wears shorts most of the time. It is just as well she likes boy clothes as she has a new baby brother so economy dictates...
I would have given up on the relationship after the rude face book remarks. Your children's rights would be compromised by this man!