or Connect

Posts by AwaitingJuno

I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong category - the category said 'birth stories' - and I wanted to share mine.  I know its hard not to be judgemental of the choices people make, especially when those choices are different than the choices you may make personally.  I genuinely appreciate the supportive nature of most of the replies.     I am super happy with my baby and his birth experience - and while some may think that a woman should not be able to access a cesarean...
To speak for myself - prior to my first birth I knew the relative risks of vaginal birth and cesarean birth and preferred that of cesarean. For the record, prior to the first birth, I had worked with vital statistics data and knew that birth was risky. Prior to the first birth I baby sat a kid with cerebral palsy. Prior to the first birth I grew up with an uncle who was profoundly injured by forceps during his birth. Birth goes fine in the vast majority of cases but in...
I have absolutely no guilt around having a cesarean nor around asking for one the first time. I have a lot of anger about what happened the first time, but guilt? For what? For choosing a safe and effective form of childbirth that best met my needs and those of my child? Why should a woman feel guilty for opting out of what is a very painful and unpredictable process? I don't believe that mothers need to go through natural childbirth if they don't want to nor do I...
The back story is at www.awaitingjuno.blogspot.com - and the short answer is that I don't know why a csection didn't happen with the first birth. It was agreed to before the delivery date, and I didn't go into labour early (I was in the hospital for 2 days before I went into labour)... I am currently pursuing a lawsuit in part to figure out what happened.
My first birth experience happened in a baby friendly hospital with the lights turned low, a nurse reminding me that "my body was made to do this", and resulted in the vaginal delivery of a 6 pound 4 ounce girl after just five hours of labour and fentanyl and gas for pain relief. There were some tears - 3 second degree tears that were repaired by way of stitches. I was told how good of a job I had done by everybody...One of the nurses quipped to me in the day or so...