or Connect

Posts by JeanetteHannah

If she is interested in food offer her foods she can feed herself like steamed sticks of carrot, steamed beans, potato and sweet potato, pieces of soft cooked fruit, bananas, breads, pancakes, toast. if you eat meat offer her simple home made meatballs.  Yoghurt, avocado, cooked soft white boneless fish, eggs, noodles,rice, pasta are all fine. She will need some iron rich foods now. I think she is too young for juice,  too much fructose for her to digest, young kids...
It will get better. Ask your friends to help out with playdates for your older child. If you do not have a stack of meals prepared in the freezer get ccreative about meals. Make double portions and freeze for later. Keep meals very simple and order takeout if needed. Simplify housework as much as possible. Only do what is essential to get through each day. Carry baby in a wrap and feed as often as needed. Your hands will be free to do other things. Buy some extra craft...
If you are home with her full time then I suggest you stop pumping except once in the morning after the first feed. This can go in the freezer for much later. I suspect all this measuring and pumping is stressing you and making you anxious that you may not have a good supply. Feed baby often, at least once every three hours and more often if she wants it. Offer her a bottle occasionally, not every day. Just nursing often will increase your supply. If your baby is happy,...
So glad it helped. I hope things continue to improve for your family.
This must be so hard for you. Be firm but gentle at the same time. Forget about punishments or time outs. Logical consequences will work. If he refuses to pick up a toy, no problem. tell him I can see you no longer want that toy and remove it. No discussion or argument follows. If his angry response bothers you tell him you cannot tolerate that noise and go to your room. Be direct. Do not ask him to do something as he will say no because he can. Use words like, it is time...
I think you need to stop worrying. Only offer nutritious food at meal times and snack times. YOur job is to choose the food and prepare it. Place the food in front of the child and relax. it is his choice to eat or not to eat. YOu do not need to get into any struggle over eating. Do not offer alternatives and stop spoon feeding unless he asks you to. Put food on his tray or plate. Let him sit in his high chair 15 minutes or so and if he is not eating just say I can see you...
I have a 13 year old who has just had two weeks with no cellphone and no ipod because she was using them when she should be sleeping and was never without an ear plug. She was tired and grumpy and very disrespectful and rude.  I had worked with her on self regulation and leaving her electronics downstairs over night. But it had not worked. She was very unhappy. The second week she has been on school holidays and is a different child. She is happy, communicative,...
Measles can be a killer disease. But more importantly it can leave children severely disabled and brain damaged.. It may only be a small minority  but it can ruin lives. There is no way of knowing which child will respond in this way till they have contracted the disease. Anyone who worked in the disability field, before the measle vaccine was routinely given, will remember how damaging measles can be. On a routine clinic visit with my eldest child many years ago I met a...
I think you need to get some professional help. Talk to your pediatrician. Be there for his tantrums but do not allow him to use them to get his own way. He needs to learn more appropriate ways to request rather than demand what he wants. When he is not raging both parents need to sit down with him and let him know angry tantrums are not appropriate to get what he wants. Sometimes he needs to wait while you nurse the baby etc. Ask him to help you solve this problem. Have...
Dealing with rages is challenging. If you understand what triggers the rages then you are better placed to deal with them appropriately. It sounds to me like some of your child's rages are triggered by not getting his own way and are an attempt to control you. If he rages, tantrums because you do not respond to his demands immediately I suggest you calmly tell him you will only respond to polite requests and walk away from his tantrum. Completely ignore his screaming etc....